Ruger 3 screw Blackhawk question.

Halffast

I just bought an old model Ruger Blackhawk convertable .357/9mm. I know that I should carry it with an empty chamber under the hammer. As long as I carry it this way is there any reason that I should send it back to Ruger for the conversion?

David

I would say no. As long as you and anyone else who may handle the gun is familiar with safe gun handling.

BTW: Nice find...

Joe

3 SCREW Rugers and safty

There actually 2 reasons to send it for the conversion. the first is simply this Rugfer will simply refuse to have anything to do with this gun including sending you replacement parts until you allow them to do so. If you send it to them for any reason they will perform the conversionbefour they doany other work. this is mandtory or they will not touch your gun.
Second reason is more ancdotal there is a 3 screw 357 out these thar has actually managed (through stupidierty and incompentce) to kill 3 members of the same family in the last 25 years. It was nonconverted and trhe fools somehow left a round under the hammer. I would send it for the conversion if you doin't like it you can always put the origional parts back in ( they do give them back to you - all of them)

I'm just curious here...

When this conversion is done, does it change the external appearance of the gun at all? I know they 'tell' you it doesn't negatively affect the gun at all, but is that really true? They don't roll stamp that egregious warning on the barrel do they?

Halffast,If I were you iI would leave it as is!But don't forget pull hammer back to load, load one, skip one, load four. Pull hammer back then ride it home and it will fall on the emty chamber. Stay safe.

I've "heard" that the safety conversion results in a crappy trigger pull compared to the original. None of my OMs have been converted so I have no first hand experience, nor do I desire any. I'd leave it be.

Sometimes the trigger pull is not as good, but sometimes it is better. I would have the change made.

One problem I have is that I am not going to be around forever. I would not want my heirs (who don't know as much about guns as I do) to get hurt because of something I could have avoided. Worse, if they sell the guns and someone else gets hurt, the lawyers will come out of the woodwork and my heirs could end up bankrupt, again, because I did not do what I could have.

Jim

A pox on the lawyers for making them ruin a wonderful gun with that dreadful conversion. I have both old and new model Rugers, and i MUCH prefer the actions on the old models. I have seen several come back with the conversion in them that had 10+ pound trigger pulls.

I would leave it like it is.

If you are worried about someone gettin hurt down the line later, then put a big note in your gunsafe or someone obvious to the effect of what 'needs' to be done.

If you're worried about someone getting hurt after you die, you could always leave your un-converted Ruger SA to a lawyer or a politician. Decent people would think well of you for it.

The conversion parts are all internal parts and do not in any way affect the appearance of your three screw. However, as pointed out above, the trigger pull won't be as nice as it once was. To a certain extent, a gunsmith can smoothen it out.

Ruger keeps records of all the guns converted. Once it converts your gun, should you or successor owner reconvert it, liability is off their hands with regards to "defective product."

You're wise to load it with only five rounds and to keep the hammer down on the empty chamber. Kudos.

Many people lust after the 3-screw models that have not been butchered. If you really want it to have a drop safety, trade it in. Someone will probably make you an even swap. Another option is to gently pull back your hammer to the first click. Problem solved and the hammer will only ride about 1/32" higher, if that.

Thanks for the replies. Based on what I have read here and how I was already leaning, I am NOT going to have the conversion done. The heir to this pistol will be my son, and he is a very safe gun owner. We will only load five rounds and carry it with the hammer down on an empty chamber.

jmlv,

Perhaps you should nominate that family for a Darwin Award. :rolleyes:

Thanks again guys,

David

Another option is to gently pull back your hammer to the first click. Problem solved and the hammer will only ride about 1/32" higher, if that.

That first click safety notch can be broken if a drop results in an impact to the hammer. The gun WILL fire if this occurs with a cartridge under the hammer. Be safe and only load five with all old style single actions.

Back