Ruger 22/45 trigger job

Big George

Curious as to whether to buy the Volquartsen trigger kit for $75, and install it myself, or pay a smith $75. to do an action job.

I would like to get about 2-2.5 lbs, crisp, to compliment my Kimber and Springfield.

Big George, it's 6 of one and half dozen of another if the drop in parts will give you the trigger you want. Personally I'd rather have a smith do it. George

Big George,

The Volquartsen kit is more than capable of getting you the let off you are looking for. It did in my 22/45.

The real question is do you want to mess with it, or do you have someone handy to farm the job out to?

If you like to tinker, it's a fun project...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

Thanks George, I am leaning toward the smith route.

I was lucky on my Charles Daly, when another old jarhead and I dropped in a bunch of parts and came out with a great 1911 with a 2.5 lb. crisp trigger. It's totally reliable.

With the Ruger, I'm more cautious, cuz, although I've had the gun apart several times, I don't feel comfortable trying a trigger job. If, indeed, the Volquartsen kit just "drops in" I would be in good shape. That's why I queried this board. The stock gun has about a 3.5 lb trigger with lots of take up, and gobs of overtravel. That won't hack it!

Hopefully, we'll hear from somebody who has done the Volquartsen kit. (Same as Mark II)

I would not mind getting an answer on this topic either. I just bought a Ruger Mark II with the 5.5" bull barrel. I tried it out a week ago and it is a better shooter than I am at this time, but the trigger travel has quite a bit to be desired. My main problem with taking it to smithy is that I am Canadian and the government has made it a pain in the butt to take a pistol to a smithy. If somebody could answer Big George's question about the "ease" of drop in parts, I might order them and do it myself.

Greetings,

When I first got my MkII I asked about trigger work on this board and somebody clued me in that the trigger improves with use, especially if you don't lube the workings. I have found this to be true. You may want to shoot the gun for six or eight months and then decide. Doubt that the release weight will decrease to 2.5#, though.

Regards,

Ledbetter

Back