Ruger 22/45 magazine cross-compatibility

jmhyer

I currently have a Ruger MkIII 22/45, which I love. I am considering purchase of another Ruger but this would be a MkIV 22/45.

Here is the question: Will the magazines I already have for my MkIII 22/45 function in the MkIV 22/45?

Thanks, in advance, for the guidance.

Greg Cote LLC
Attn: Greg Cote
1633 Race Track RD Suite 104
Saint Johns, FL 32259-3237
Email: Greg@GregCoteLLC.com
Phone: (443)-321-4676
Phone: (904)-525-8821
Fax: (443)-321-4665

1 (336) 949-5200 Ruger Customer Service

Well, according to Ruger customer service, they are not cross compatible. I have read that some material can be taken off the MkIII 22/45 magazines base plate in order to allow for seating and function in the MkIV 22/45 pistol; however, Ruger would neither confirm nor recommend that. This is certainly understandable. But this is the main reason I was seeking input from anyone on this forum that has personal experience.

Well, according to Ruger customer service, they are not cross compatible.

I don't have any MKIVs, but I do use MKIV magazines in MKIII pstols without issue. My MKII magazines are not great in my MKIIIs, and the MKIII and IV magazines aren't great in the MKII.

EDIT - Just noticed that I omitted and important not.

Last edited:
Zukiphile said:
I don't have any MKIVs, but I do use MKIV magazines in MKIII pstols without issue. My MKII magazines are great in my MKIIIs, and the MKIII and IV magazines aren't great in the MKII.
Do you have a regular MKIII or a 22/45 MKIII? The OP is asking about the 22/45. I used to own a 22/45 MKIII. Magazines from the "regular" MK pistols didn't work, and magazines from the earlier 22/45 models didn't work.

I had sold mine by the time the MKIV 22/45 came out, so I can't comment on that.

Jmhyer, what you read is correct. You can remove material from the base plate. My son in law used a Dremel and it worked fine.

Aguila Blanca said:
Do you have a regular MKIII or a 22/45 MKIII? The OP is asking about the 22/45. I used to own a 22/45 MKIII.

My response is entirely about 22/45s. Regular MKIIs are their own excellent thing.

I understand, but have not verified, that MKIII magazine bodies are all the same, but with different base plates fitted.

Aguila Blanca said:
Magazines from the "regular" MK pistols didn't work, and magazines from the earlier 22/45 models didn't work.

I had to edit to include an omitted "not" in my prior post. For my pistols, the MKII 22/45 magazines were not great in the MKIII 22/45s. The notch was in a very slightly different place and the bottom plate slightly lower on one. Unfortunately, that means if you have or get a MKII 22/45, you need to source the specific magazine for that generation. If there is any justice, whoever decided to do that way got a punch in the nose.

A regular MKII magazine had no notch on the body of the magazine because it has an (excellent) heel catch. While the replaceable grip frame 22/45 MKIII was an improvement, I think the 22/45 line may have had fewer problems if they'd just have retained the heel catch. Of course, that would take some of the "45" out of a 22/45.

Last edited:
Back