Ruger 22/45 good trainer for 1911??

Gunz387

I have moderate experience with pistols that include a Glock 22, G23, G27, and a cheap 22 revolver. I have recently been very interested in purchasing my first 1911 just to see if I can find the Magic many others have with it. I am planning on purchasing a Kimber (not decided on model). I have also recently concluded that Its time to add a 22 semi auto pistol to my firearm collection. I have heard that the Ruger 22/45 has the same grip angle that the 1911 has. Is this true? I thought because of the grip angle it would be a great trainer pistol for a 1911. Especially for times when shooting 80 dollars of 45acp in an hour isn’t practical. Does anyone here have any opinions on the Ruger 22/45, Is it reliable, is its accuracy good enough to bag small game such as squirrels, rabbits, etc up to 25 yards? The 22-semi auto pistol I purchase may also have to fill the purpose as a pack gun for bugging out. That’s why reliability and accuracy is important. Does the 22/45 meet my requirements? All opinions, suggestions and comments will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you all,
Reed

------------------
Criminals prefer unarmed victims

I shoot a Ruger 22/45 and feel it has been an excellent target gun and learning tool.

Jessica

------------------
The whole secret of a successful life is to find out what it is one's destiny to do, and then do it.
HENRY FORD, "Success," Forum, October 1928

Yes, the .22/45 will do all you ask, and more. Grip angle is the same, but the sights are a bit different, as is naturally the trigger. For pure trainingg, the Ciener .22 conversion on the Kimber is a bit better choice as it allows the real feel of the Kimber. I use a Ciener fixed sight conversion on my Kimber Custom Target. It isn't as accurate or rugged as the Ruger .22/45, but it works fine. For all around use, the Ruger is a better choice simply because it is more accurate. If you don't yet have a 1911, the Ruger will allow you to shoot while you save up for one. 80 bucks worth of cheap .22lr goes a pretty long way.

Thanks ladydeej. Fingers not working as well as the brain last night.

Frank

RAE is right on the money. If you want a 22 for plinking and small game hunting, the 22/45 with a 6 and 7/8" bull barrel isn't a bad idea.

But the 22 conversion kit may give you more transferable skills.

Will you range master allow you to rent their Kimber and put a 22 conversion kit on it?

Can you rent a 22/45 until you can afford a Kimber? My range, WSI in Bellevue WA, has Kimbers, Colts, several 1911s for me to rent.

Also, if you'd like to hunt small game, maybe a Ruger 10/22, or a Marlin Papoose rifle would be better for bunny blastin. That 16" barrel does speed up the round and make it more accurate.

More hits, more bunnies, more fun. Nothing more frustrating and embarrassing that when the "great hunter" returns home with McDonalds and no prey!

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rad turds powered by rodent farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

A Ruger 22/45 was my second gun. Loved it and even got used to clean the darn thing with its quirky assembly system.

Accuaate as all day. Could split a dime at 50 feet and a quarter at 75 feet.

Lost interest in it though and moved up to bigger calibers.

Most reliable 22 I've had or shot including SW 622, SW 21, Browning Buckmark. It would shoot Remington Thunderbolt, the really cheap stuff for $4.99/500 rounds at K-Mart. Shot it just as accurate as the better Winchester DynaPoint hollowpoints. Great hunting and plinking round and their plated too so clean up is easier.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rad turds powered by rodent farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

I own both a 22/45 and 1911s. I think the answer to your question is "sorta".

The 22/45 does have a similar grip angle and shape to the 1911. The magazine release is also in the same place. Skills learned with any hangun will transfer in large part to any other handgun.

The overall weight, balance, trigger, and possibly sight picture are quite different.

RAE, is correct that for training a Ceiner top end is probably a better choice. I have one of these also and it works very well, but then you miss out on the fun of having another pistol.

For hunting small game the 22/45 is an excellent choice. I use mine for "eyeball" shots out to about 30 yards. Even if "miss", it's still a head shot.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

Ditto on the 22/45. Great practice gun, but - of course - different from the .45.

I've posted about my 22/45 under other posts... look through those...

------------------
Stand against evil, lest evil have its way...

Back