Ruger 22/45 barrel length -- which one?

baj

TFLers,

I need some helpe -- I'm having serious trouble deciding on a barrel length for a ruger 22/45. I have 4" bull, 5-1/2" bull, and 6-7/8" slab-side to choose from.

I wouldn't have really considered the 4" but it's on sale locally for $200. The 4" Ruger .22's look awfully stubby to me, but I'm not sure why since a 4" centerfire pistol looks perfectly normal. The 6-7/8" is $60 more than the 4" and the 5-1/2" is somewhere in between.

This is for range work only, no hunting or hiking carry. Will the shorter barrels make for a significantly better training ground for a larger caliber, which will probably be a 4" or so barrel, or doesn't this make much difference? I realize that I have to ultimately pick one and that none is a bad choice, but I just want to hear as many opinions as you'll provide me with. Thanks for your advice.

I've got the 5-1/2 and love it shoots and handles well. BUT, I have seen people shooting the 4" at the range and have been itching to try one. The 6-7/8 may be too much of a good thing.

Terry

Another vote for the 5.5". About the only thing the longer barrel has going for it is the longer sight radius. That could be important if you plan on using it in competition with iron sights only. You won't get noticably better accuracy or velocity out of it at normal .22 target distances.

Mal H:
You probably meant that you wouldn't NEED more velocity at under 25yds. You will always get more velocity in a longer barrel up to 16-18" depending on power of cartridge. After 18" it starts slowing down.

For TARGET practice, would guys recommend the 6 7/8" slab side or is it too long? I was planning to get one.

I think the 6-7/8" version comes with rings and bases. If you're not going to use it backpacking (4" version) or scope it (6-7/8" version), the intermediate 5.5" would probably be best.

Target practice

Yes, for target shooting, practice, or competition get the 6 7/8th inch barrel "Competition" (sladside) model.

For best all around .22, I still recommend the 5.5.

Ruger Mk2 Barrel Lengths ?

It's up to the shooter to determine what works best for them! I sold both my P-4s because they were too short and had no power for small game hunting and stepped up to the 678s, both are capable of minute of angle at one hunred yards with cheapo Winchester Dynapoints, that's an inch group! The 22/45 with the slabside 6 7/8 barrel is very well balanced, polish the bore with JBs each time you clean for incredible accuracy..Roy

I once owned a Ruger 22/45 and chose the 4" barrel because the balance felt better in my hand. I had the gun for inexpensive practice before moving up to centerfire. It was plenty accurate for me, but I'm no bullseye shooter.

4 inch barrel is plenty long

Go with the 4 inch barrel. I have both, 4" and 5.5" bull barrels. The 4 inch is just as accurate and is better balanced. Also, most high end target .22's have barrels no longer than 4 inches. My Benelli MP95 Atlanta's barrel is only 3.9 inches and it can out shoot Ruger 678 slabsides all day. Then again, its twice the price.

Pilot

I chose the 5 1/2” barrel because in my opinion this is the set up that most closely feels like a .45. If you plan on doing any “bullseye” type shooting with your 22/45 I would strongly suggest getting a trigger job. I also sent mine to Clark Custom guns and had them install their scope mount rail and do their “relief” job on the trigger guard which gives you a higher grip. Mine has an UltraDot (1 inch tube with 4 moa dot) red dot sight on it as well. The gun is more accurate than I am by far.....Art G.

Thanks, everyone, for the great responses to my question. The slab-side really appeals to me for some reason, but when I go to the store again I'm going to think a lot about balance. I didn't expect the 5.5" to run away with the show the way it did.

One more thing to think about would be the weight of the pistol itself...I've got the 5.5" and fully loaded it weighs and handles just about the same as my Ruger P90 fully loaded...it makes a great cheap training aid...the balance is very similiar...the grip is thinner but, hey, it's close...

G

Back