Ruger 1911 thoughts

bamaranger

A local chain store is selling Ruger SR1911's for what seems a very good price.
Interested in comments concerning the Ruger SR1911, quality, reliability, etc. If in the 1911 market, would you buy one at $660 out the door?

I'm a fan of Ruger single action revolvers. I used to have a very nice custom 1911 bullseye gun.

When you say that you're "in the 1911 market" it becomes complex when you bring up S&W and Ruger. That's sort of like "Scotch made in Kentucky".

Given my experiences with Ruger customer service, for a knock-around big pistol, I wouldn't hesitate. If you like it, get it. Just don't expect it to be what it isn't.

Pro: Ruger is pretty well established in the 1911ish field and has a good reputation.
Not a whale of a lot more expensive than an import.

Con: Looks like you are talking about their lightweight model. Are you OK with a 31oz .45?

Q: I wonder why the lightweight is so much less expensive than the same configuration in all stainless?

A friend of mine has a Ruger 1911 that he's been very pleased with. I'd say that $660 is a great buy for a solid pistol, I'd buy a Ruger before buying a 1911 from Turkey or the PI.
What chain is selling them for that?

good point

Rural King has the pistol, prices good into early Nov. I have not handled one, but the add displays a two -tone gun, blued on the frame, stainless (?) above and describes it as a full size 5" gun. I'm to town tommorrow and will examine one.

price

Yeah, a bit of research indicates the LW full size gun sells for around $600, while the steel gun sells for more. I was not aware of the existance of the LW gun, having only handled and prices the all steel guns.

The 31 oz weight does not bother me a wit.....about the weight of a Sig P220, which I walked beside for 20 years in the ranger game. But....the advertised price is not the deal I thought....about what they sell for everywhere else.

I have one and have always been extremely pleased with it. I did eventually replace a lot of the guts with Wilson Combat parts, but had zero reason for doing so other than I wanted to. I never had any hiccups with the gun prior to that and it was my carry gun for roughly a decade.

If and when I need another 1911 I'm likely to just buy another Ruger. I don't have any high end 1911's but out of the ones I do have the Ruger is my favorite (Remington, Ruger, Sig, Metro Arms)

Ruger makes good guns, and stands behind them. They may not be what everyone thinks they ought to be but they are good guns.

Two things to be aware of, first, Ruger's current "warranty policy". As I understand it, if you send the gun back to Ruger, for any reason, Ruger will return the gun to the configuration it was in when it left the factory. SO, if you install any aftermarket parts, Ruger will remove them. I've never had one of their 1911s but have owned Ruger rifles and pistols since the 80s, never had to send any back for any reason.

The other point, something you might want to check. My son has one of the S&W 1911s and the grip screw bushings do NOT line up with the standard GI/Colt pattern grips. Don't know if the Ruger does, or not, but its something to check before you spend any cash on grip changes.

Ruger makes good guns, and stands behind them. They may not be what everyone thinks they ought to be but they are good guns.

Two things to be aware of, first, Ruger's current "warranty policy". As I understand it, if you send the gun back to Ruger, for any reason, Ruger will return the gun to the configuration it was in when it left the factory. SO, if you install any aftermarket parts, Ruger will remove them. I've never had one of their 1911s but have owned Ruger rifles and pistols since the 80s, never had to send any back for any reason.

The other point, something you might want to check. My son has one of the S&W 1911s and the grip screw bushings do NOT line up with the standard GI/Colt pattern grips. Don't know if the Ruger does, or not, but its something to check before you spend any cash on grip changes.
The "send it back as it came from the factory" is common with virtually all manufacturers. If you've,for instance, put an Apex trigger in a pistol going back to S&W, restore the factory trigger before sending it in.

As for Ruger's "warranty" service, I've never had to send one back, but I have had two students who did. One was an SR-22 .22 auto pistol; the other was a 10-22 rifle. In both cases, Ruger said they found something out of tolerance and replaced the returned gun with a like model new one. Hard to beat service like that.

Ruger 1911s are great entry level production pistols. They are in the same category as entry level Kimber, Sig Sauer and Springfield.

I have owned and traded both the Government and Commander versions. You cannot go wrong with either one. They work very well out of the box. I never experienced any issues with them.

I eventually upgraded to Dan Wesson and never looked back. The only thing that I did not like about them was the way the trigger rattles. That drove me nuts (OCD) lol [emoji23].

If your budget allows it, try a Dan Wesson model. They are the closest thing to a custom 1911 at a lower price tag. Otherwise, the Ruger 1911 is a very good option and will serve you very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd buy a Tisas before a Ruger.
I have a gaggle of 1911s, the majority are Colts. But I also have a Ruger SR1911 and a Tisas US Army. The Ruger is a quality piece as is the Tisas. I purchased my Ruger when they first came out and paid about $550 otd for it. The Tisas was a distributor special when they were blowing out blems for under $300. The Ruger is American made and comes with all the features most modern 1911 owners want. Tisas makes 1911s of similar features at similar prices to what I originally paid for my Ruger.

In the end, a Ruger is a good gun at the $600 range, but I think they're going closer to $950ish now. That's a bit much, so yeah, I get why you'd buy a Tisas.

Back