Ruger 10/22

Caeca Invidia Es

Staff Alumnus
Has anyone had experience with the Ruger 10/22 and the Bushmaster bull-pup stock? If so did you have any complications with it?

------------------
"Freedom has always existed in a very percurious balance. And when buildings stop blowing up, people’s priorities tend to change..." Enemy of the State

Never did a bullpup, but in general the 10-22 is a neat, reliable little critter. There are sixteen gazillion things available to make them more accurate or just whatever.

The weak point is the lousy trigger. A very good gunsmith smoothed mine up, but the travel is about two miles before it goes bang. I've seen a recent ad for a rather pricey replacement mechanism; retail around $190 or thereabouts...

The advantage of a bullpup is its use in confined quarters, such as a truck cab. Otherwise, the balance is "off" for best accuracy in off-hand shooting.

FWIW, Art

The $35 Volquartsen hammer kit does a pretty good job of fixing that lousy trigger. I absolutely hate the fact that the bolt doesn't stay back after the last shot. Lousy design, in my opinion.

It might be a lousy design, but it is great fun to go plinking with, and I can shoot all day for under 10 bucks with it. I've been looking into the Volquartsen kits and have been considering getting the hammer kit, but not sure if I'm going to get it just yet.

------------------
"Freedom has always existed in a very percurious balance. And when buildings stop blowing up, people’s priorities tend to change..." Enemy of the State

Yes.....and it's not a bushmaster stock. It's the Muzzlelite stock and all of the internal working parts are plastic. The rifle feels mushy and hesitant to shoot. The only way to make it perform is to toss the entire plastic internal setup, including the trigger, and replace it with a steel push assembly with the steel trigger as an integral part of the rails. It really works! The trigger pull is positive (no plastic flex) and feels 1000% better. Cut off the sight setup as low as you can and drill and tap a pair of steel plates to "sandwich" the plastic carry handle. Machine screw a weaver rail to this and mount a Pro-pont or Armson OEG to the rail and you've got a fun rifle that you can keep in the pickup. Cut the front sight completely down to just above the brass screw that holds the front end together. Good shooting.

Guess I'll just buy the danged thing and see if I have any problems :)

------------------

Back