Ruger 10/22: suggestions for making more accurate

Riss

Wanted to get some more information on making my 10/22 more accurate. I already have done everything to it that is possible. Except for getting someone else to do the work for me. It is built in the Chevy Truck Style, with just about every add-on the is made for the darned thing.

Then you need to bring it to the Chevy Truck Sportsman's Team Challenge this april down in Florida and see how it does...

Seriously, I don't understand your question.. What all have you done to it? How much more accuracy are you looking for?

I'm not expert on this subject, but being more specific might let someone else help you more.

I have two rifles built by Chuck Hearn with Power Custom internal parts and a Green Mountain Barrel. I just keep them clean and shoot the ammo I was told to shoot when I want it to do really well. ;)

Rob has a point. How accurate is it?
I don't know how much work you have put into it. I had my work done by Don Fraley Custom. Don threads the receiver and installs the barrel like a high power rifle. I'm a believer in this. I'm not sure of his guarantee, but I believe its less than a half inch at 50 yards. I,ve been around a few of his rifles, and have seen them shoot 3/8 inch groups on a regular basis with good ammo.

What kind of ammo are you shooting? I have a 10/22 with a SS fluted Kimber bull barrel, thumbhole stock, and a Weaver V16 scope that will shoot every single shot through the same hole at 50 yards consistantly with Federal Classic .22 Long Rifle Hyper Velocity 31 grain copper-plated hollow points. I have tried just about every kind of ammo through this gun and the Federal ammo is nothing short of amazing out of this package. When I go to the range I shoot prairie dog targets that I have scanned into my computer. Instead of shooting the dog in the neck or shoulder, I can shoot them consistantly in the eyes. The stock isnt bedded and I havent put any replacement parts kits in the gun. I did have the trigger worked on by a gunsmith though. I have also had exellent results with the standard factory Ruger barrel with this ammo.

Sorry about the short intro. I was very tired.....anyway. I will list the things that have been done to my rifle. It is really just for fun, although I do plan to use it for at least a few competitions each year. Midway SS bull barrel,bore polished, hand polished sear, lightened hammer, target trigger w/stop, volquartsen stabilizer, Fajen silhouette stock, free floated barrel, various extra power or reduced power springs,24x target scope. I have my best results with Federal Match, 25+ yards sub .5" 10 shot groups. The only limiting factors I can see is MY ability. I was trying to see if I had overlooked anything in my quest for the one hole group.

I have done all of the work myself except for a custom SS barrel retaining block and SS bolt handle. I am an amateur gunsmith and decieded to try a rifle for the first time.

don.t take this personally ruger fans as i have a fluted b/barrel one myself but if you want accuracy buy a marlin (love that micro-groove barrel)can't beat it stock out of box

Best thing you can do now in my opinion is to go shoot it, get some help or read up on proper methods of shooting and shoot it, shoot it some more and then keep on shooting it. to much time and money is wasted on
"stuff" when you can't make use of it in the first place, when you are sure you are better than the rifle/gun then I would look for more stuff to put on the gun.. good luck!

Bear:
Nicely said. :)
It will help me not to spend money I don't have on things I do not yet NEED.

Thank you.

------------------
Regards,
~Douglas in CT :)

Back