Ruger 10/22 sight improvements

OEY

Inactive
Ruger 10/22 comes standard with a folding rear and gold bead front sight. Can I improve on these with either the "Fire sight" fiber-optic or the Zephyr sighting system? Any other suggestions on sights or suggestions on a good scope for the 10/22?

For the regular 10/22 carbine, I like the looks of the Zephyr sighting system. I don't know if it's good or not, but I like aperture type sights.

As for a scope, I have a Leupold Vari-XII 4-12x40 on my 10/22. Mine's a Volquartsen Custom 10/22 though, and I wouldn't consider putting a scope like that on a plain 10/22. I'd probably go with a Simmons.

I'd definately like to hear opinions about the Zephyr system. I'm planning on buying a plain 10/22 as a beater and I'm going to leave it with open sights.

If you get a scope and mount for your 10/22, consider getting one of the variety that elevates the scope somewhat. Mine came with a flat base that screwed into the reeciver top. It was uncomfortable for me, so I replaced it with a Weaver see-through mount. This raised the scope level about .5" and made the fit better for me. I topped the mount with a Redfield 1X-4X variable (worth more than the gun, actually!) and it works fine. I find scope power beyond 4X is somewhat wasted on a .22.

Just my $0.02.

Back