Ruger 10-22 Scope Advice

PKAY

Just bought a brand new Ruger 10-22 Stainless Steel Bull Barrelled Beauty. Any suggestions for a scope and mounts would be greatly appreciated. Plinking and varminting would be my uses. Thanks.

------------------
Safe shooting - PKAY

I used the standard Ruger mounts that come with my 10/22T and put a rebuilt Tasco World Class 3x9x44mm on it. For my 10/22M I've mounted a Tasco High Country 6x24x44.

In my opinion, BSA probably makes as good a scope for a .22 rimfire as anybody. I have a 6-24X BSA on my Magnum Research graphite bull barrelled 10/22 and am quite happy with it for the price. FWIW, I understand that a good portion of the local BR50 rmifire bench rest competitors use BSA's.

BTW, there's nothing like "varminting" or "dangerous animal" (attack cats :D) control with a 24X scope and a .22 rimfire. I can get pretty "surgical" with my 10/22-BSA combo. Head shots on bait stealing turtles out to 25-30 yards are fairly easy. Got seven "confirmed" in about 45 minutes the other day. :D

Check out www.midwayusa.com for BSA scopes. You can get the 6-24X 40mm "Contender Target" for $115.99 including shipping. This is the scope I have and it's definitely a good "bang for the buck" value. I used a Weaver base and Burris Signature rings with the inserts. I can get you the base/rings part numbers if you wish. Let me know if you need any more info on the BSA or the base/rings.

------------------
The Glock freak formerly known as Chris...

Thank you both for your advice. Having been a handgunner mostly, this is my first foray into putting together a rifle-scope combination. I have read in Shotgun News about the Shepherd scope. You guys didn't mention it. Is it not very good? The ones you mentioned sound very good indeed.

------------------
Safe shooting - PKAY

I'd like to jump in on this thread also, as I've recently acquired a 77/22 with heavy barrel and laminated stock that I want to scope. And like PKAY, I'm new to this as well. My questions are:

-- What power to people recommend for target and possible varminting -- Is 9x or 12x enough, or do I really need 16x or 24x? At what point do I need an adjustable objective to correct for parallex?

-- What brands do you recommend? I realize that many are good. I'd be willing to spend up to $200-300, but would welcome spending less. Any experience with Simmons? I've been looking at their Aetec series, esp. the 2.8-10x 44mm, which I've seen for about $150.

-- How big an objective should I get? I'm thinking of about 40mm as a compromise between light gathering and mounting height.

Thanks -- any advice for this newbie would be appreciated. This stuff can be pretty confusing if you don't know anything about it.

Andrew

I had a problem with my 10/22 Bull barrel ruger when using factory mount. I know the scope was good but with the factory mount and a Weaver (think it was aTo4mount) my scope was maxed out in windage. I heard of this problem with others on the 10/22. I bought a Burris adjustable ring/mount set and a Weaver V24 (8x24x42 at Natchez for about $260 a great scope buy) and it works great now.

My dad gave me a Ruger 10/22 in about 1966. It had a Weaver 4x scope. I stopped shooting in 1969 when my father was no longer able to drive me to the range. The gun was placed in the closet until last year. I took it to the range in 1999. That is thirty years. It shot 1/2"-3/4" groups at fifty yards and was dead on. I'm an old guy without kids, but am considering starting a family. I figure that I can use the 10/22 with my kids and the scope will probably be in great shape.

I'm in the same boat, looking for a scope on the 10/22.

I know that Tasco and Bushnell has a few sub $100 scopes, I don't know how good they are though...

I have not yet decided how much I'm going to spend on a scope, I have seen prices from $50 all the way up to $300 for a .22 scope...

Albert

I use a leupold var-xII 3-9x40 and I love it. It is very clear and can be had for betwen 209-250 dollars. It is mounted on a leupold mount and rings. I also use a clark custom barrel and love it also(expensive but good like the Leupold)

Check out www.midwayusa.com and their deal on the Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20X 50mm for $99.95 delivered to your door. This scope has gone out of production and these are the last ones. I bought one for my Browning A-Bolt .308 (which I didn't have yet) and mounted it to my Remington 597 for sh*ts and giggles. I was hitting a gong regularly at 307 yards with a .22LR. What fun! Anyway, that is a lot of scope for a little money. I'm very pleased with it.

I've got the Simmons Whitetail Classic 10-20x50mm (I know the highest is 20x, the low power, I'm not sure about) on my 10/22. It looks really goofy on the little guy but it is SO NICE for shooting! It's obviously on high mounts but you don't even need a spotting scope. The image is perfect even at 20x. The 50mm is so bright and clear. I was looking for a much smaller scope but this was half off so I snagged it. I put the Volquartsen kit and bolt buffer on the rifle and love to shoot it. It's buttery smooth and even without a compensator, you can watch the shots hit. I've got the stock stainless barrell on it and it shoots 1/2" and under at 50 yards. My favorite thing to do is line up rifle cartriges and pick them off, rarely does it require two shots. It ain't me, it's the rifle.

Albert, I think it's a slick trigger group being referred to. Any other info, guys?

------------------
Safe shooting - PKAY

One thing to bear in mind is that centerfire scopes are focused for much longer distances than rimfire scopes. An adjustable objective can remedy this or buy a scope designed specifically for rimfires. I ran into this recently with a 77/22. It was bought used with a 3X9 centerfire scope on it. Blurry at anything over 4X at 50 yards. Got a Weaver 2.5X7 Rimfire scope from Midway for $120. Works great, I'm very hapy with it. It cost a bit more than the sub-$100 ones, but I think it was well worth it and still much cheaper than the high dollar models.

------------------
TFL's official "Curmudgeon Member" and damned proud of it!
TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000

There are two trigger items from Vol. 1) a trgger group kit (sear, hammer, shims, pins) and 2) a complete drop in trigger assembly and housing machined from billet aluminum ~$250 for that one.
anodes.

I just went through the scope thing with my 10/22. Couldn't hold zero. I put a Weaver base on it with Millet angle lock rings. Trashed the Simmons 22 mag scope, and the Tasco pronghorn I tried on it before. I put a 70s era 4X Tasco on it and now it shoots great. As soon as I get the trigger done, I'm going for some real quailty optics for it. Probably Burris or Leupold.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

The Whitetail Classic that i mentioned before has an adjustable objective so focus is great.

Back