Ruger 10/22 rifle

Nickster

Spoted one at my gun shop used, heavy barrel, nice wood,6 power tasco scope. Can buy it for 209.00. excellent shape. Can anyone tell me about this gun, before I buy it. Nickster!

Is this the factory HB or aftermarket? Blued or stainless? Sounds a little high on the pricing to me if blued. Also some aftermarket HBs are carbon fiber barrels with sleeves. Very lightweight. These are excellent little weapons. I have two of them in my safe. There are enough aftermarket suppliers around so that no two would be alike.

You should see Ruger markings on the barrel if its original factory. If not, the barrel maybe after market. Although it may be a hassle, bring a micrometer to the gun shop and measure the diameter of the barrel. If it is less than .920, it may be an inferior after market second. Also, take a good bore light and look into the barrel, it should be clean and shiney, definite rifling.

I personally think that Ruger 10/22's are a great little gun, but you should determine first what you are going to use it for. The available accessories are numerous, but high cap mags like Butler Creek Hot-Lips 25 rd. will set you back $50+, 30 rd Ramline mags are going for closer to $80+.

Accuracy is relative in these semi-auto rimfires, unless you're going to shoot squirrels at yardages of 50 yds.+. You certainly can do that with just about any decent rimfire. The heavy barrels are slightly more accurate but they need to be matched with excellent optics in order to bring your groups in tighter. Then, your little $200 rimfire may require a $500 scope to achieve this end.

Back