Ruger 10/22 Modifications

skeetman

Inactive
I'm about to purchase a Ruger 10/22 for plinking, squirrel hunting, and minor target shooting. The question is this: I can most definately see myself getting into 200+ yard target shooting (maybe competitively) and need to know how/what to upgrade. I'll obviously need a 'bull' barrel - heavy weight match barrel but don't know whether to get stainless-steel, blued, or composite; where to purchase them, if I can do it or if I should have a gunsmith do it, and how much I should expect to pay. This is also true for the stock: wood, sythetic, composit, etc.; w/ finger-hole - where and how much? Any other upgrade suggestions or advice? Thanks.

------------------
There's no such thing as second place...only the first to loose!!

I, too, want to buy a 10/22. Please indicate which modifications should be made first if I have to do this in stages.
Appreciate all advice.

I have two examples of great 10/22 work in my collection.
They were built by Chuck Hearn. I can put you in touch with him. He used Green Mountain fluted bull barrels, internal parts form Power Custom and Fajen Thumbhole stocks. These guns are 1 holers at 50 yards (from a rest, I'm not near good enough to pull that off-hand!)
I was incredibly impressed with Chucks work and attention to detail.
One of the guns wears a 8-32x 30 mm objective scope, the other a 6-24x 40mm objective.

The guns were built for my wife and I to use in last year's STC Nationals.

I have a 10-22 I built from parts that I bought at a gun show. The barrel is stamped Auto Ordnance, and the stock is a Butler Creek, black plastic. I have 3x9 weaver scope on top, and the thing is a tack driver. A person doesn't have to spend big bucks to improve their 10-22. And it is VERY easy to change the barrels by yourself. I spent $135 on both items total. I have seen Kimber barrels for sale at the local sporting goods, varied prices, blued and stainless. Stocks too.

These rifles can benefit a good trigger job as well

Whatever you do, start out with a very good barrel. Be leery of the "off the shelf" match barrels since their chambers are for generic .22s bullets bought at Walmart or Kmart or any other big store. Match barrels should have match chambers for match bullets (which cost $).

The barrel is the starting point. You may modify your stock or better yet, go with a synthetic (won't be affected by humidity).

Trigger jobs aren't that hard to do on the 10/22. The last issue of Rifle magazine had such an aritcle. If you do your own, get a spare trigger pin from Ruger and cut it to fit between the inner receiver walls (use it as a slave pin to hold the assembly together).

Sights - what works for you?

It all depends what you really want to do and how much $ you've got to spend. You may want to get a simple barrel/stock assembly for starters (Butler Creek combos are as cheap as $109.95 from Spartan SS - see thread in another competition forum for phone#) and when you find you're equipment limiting your performance, upgrade. Good Shooting!

4v50 Gary

Back