Ruger 10-22 Magazine release

jere01

Inactive
I have a Ruger 10-22. It handles any ammo I put through it without any failure to eject. But, when I try to eject the empty mag to reload, it hangs up in the mag well. The only way I can get it to release is to insert a pocket screw driver between the magazine and the front of the mag well. Then I push the mag release while pushing the mag forward with the screw driver. I have two mags for my rifle and they are both factory mags. They both have the dame problems'

Separate the stock from the barrel/action

They both have the dame problems'
For now, I do not suspect that there is a problem with your mags. The side-walls of the mag, well is the stock. My first pass would be to remove the barrel and action from the stock and then see if you still have a problem. If so, then my next step is to pull and clean the spring loaded plunger as there might be some dirt or "stuff" restricting the plunger travel. This should be an easy fix. :rolleyes:

http://www.midwayusa.com/General.mvc/Index/Schematics~ruger_10_22
Ref parts 25,27 and 28

Be Safe !!!

Is this a new(ish) rifle? If so, it's a common problem and the easiest remedy is removing stock and using sandpaper to open the magwell slightly.

Back