Ruger 10/22 jams on Federal

Aquaman34

Inactive
Just wondered if anyone else's Ruger 10/22 jams on Fed ammo. Mine did pretty bad so I tried Remington ammo and it worked perfectly....thanks...

I have had a terrible problem with the federal ammo in my 10/22. It seems to me that the lead is VERY soft and hits the feed lip or something and dents and will not chamber. I had this problem as much as 1 in 5 rounds. Remington and CCI mini mag have had very little problem which is very important because I use Ramline 50 rounders in mine. I was shocked that Federal fed so poorly. I also had smaller groups with both Remington and CCI.

My 10/22T loves Federal Gold Match--loves it! sub .5 in groups at 50 yds. Luckily it shoots almost as good with Winchester SuperX

I've always had problems using Federal Hi-Power in my 10/22, and never had any with CCI Mini-Mags.
I also experience jams in my AP-74 with Federal. CCI, Winchester, and Remington fixed that problem also.
Federal Match ammo is pretty good though.

------------------
Happiness is a tight group!

Shot two 550 round boxes of Fed hollowpoint Sunday afternoon and I had mimimal jamming - but yes whenever I cleared the jam, the bullet head was badly marred. I was using a ramline 30 rd. mag. I deposited the Eagle 10 rd mag into the garbage at the range -it was just a piece of junk. I was planning to post abot the Federal hollow point - this is the only 22 bullets that whistle as the bullet leaves the rifle on its way to the target. May son thinks this is "cool." What makes them whistle? Does the hollow point design somehow differ from other hollowpoints or maybe is it a function of velocity?

Federal also fed poorly in Colt Junior and EVEN Ruger Mk2. I have had no trouble frrding a bolt-action Marlin 80 with it, but still prefer other ammo brands.

OTOH, while Zapper has been reliable in most guns, it will hardly chamber in an older S&W 17 (4") - the "ribbing" on the bullet makes loading it into the cylinder rather tough. The lesson is, test your ammo before relying on it, even with "foolproof" guns.

I had similar problems with a lot of winchester wildcat 22's... every third round jammed our auto loaders ruger pistols, marlin rifles, browning take down model. Finally dad and I decided we had a BAD production run of 22 ammo. We realized we had bought 4 bricks of ammo from the SAME LOT.. we ended up testing boxes from each brick with the same result. We rendered them innert by soaking them in oil and threw them away. Better to write off the $40 than have one fail in the field.

I have been buying federals ever since without problems.

Stay Safe,

Dr.Rob

If the Federals you are using are those 550 round bulk pack stuff like Wal-Mart carries - it's crap! As others have stated the Federal Match is great but more expensive.

A few friends and I did 22 ammo tests several years ago to find the ammo that would function and shoot accurately in a variety of platforms. We probably tested 20 or so different firearms, rifles and pistols, from Hi-Standard, Remington, Ruger, Marlin, Mossberg and others.

The winner?? WINCHESTER SUPER-X HOLLOW POINTS!! It wasn't always the most accurate in EVERY gun but it was very accurate in all of them. I have shot groups with my 10-22T with Winchester that rival groups with Eley and Lapua match ammo. For some reason ONLY the hollow points worked this way. The round nose solids didn't.

Mikey

Back