Ruger 10-22 HELP!

colbad

Hi guys, I always find a wealth of knowledge on this site so thought I would ask for some help.

Bought older model 10-22 carbine in good shape at gun show. When I got home and played with it a bit, I found that I had to play with the slide lock to get it to release bolt forward. Much more than just push and release.

Took it to range today and it fed and fired great...1X. It picked up and ejected spent round clean. On further investigation, I noticed the trigger was not resetting. If I manually pulled the trigger back out it would reset. My first guess is that there is a bad spring behind the trigger or the it is gummed up??

Before I open gun up, I thought I would get some guidance on where my focus should be and if the reluctant slide release is related to the trigger failing to reset. My other question, if it is a spring, is that a DIY job or something that would require a gun smith?

As always, help from fellow shooters is greatly appreciated!

The Practicals and Particulars.

I found that I had to play with the slide lock to get it to release bolt forward.
The Practical's;
Disassemble and do a good inspection followed by a good cleaning, the 10/22's are very forgiving or lack of cleaning. Go to YouTube and there is a bunch of How-To videoes. ….. :)

Particulars;
On the bolt release, the standard can be a pain in the back-side, on releasing. Have no idea why they did not start out with a auto bolt release. At any rate, you can buy one or convert yours. Again, U-tube will show you. …. :)

Now then, on the trigger return spring. It might be a dirty spring hole or you may have a problem in in the disconnector as it too, has it's own spring. In order to clean the spring pocket it will be a big jump in the learning curve. ;)
So, disassemble and drop the trigger group. Get a can of electric motor cleaner and spray the heck out of the internals. Make use to shoot into that trigger spring hole. ….. ;)

Even if you are slightly mechanically inclined, these are easy to work on and modify. Again, U-Tube is your friend. ….. ;)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
The bolt lock on the 10/22 is sort of weird in terms of how it functions. You can download a manual here and see if it's operating as it should.

The manual also has an exploded parts diagram that may help you diagnose which parts are causing issues with the trigger return and also provide some information on how things fit together.

Here's some more information on 10/22 basic disassembly.

http://trochronicles.blogspot.com/2009/04/disassembling-cleaning-and-assembling.html

And some information on the trigger group disassembly.

https://adigaarmory.com/2010/03/26/ruger-1022-fire-control-group-assembly/

In the interest of full disclosure, I have not fully vetted either of those disassembly procedures, nor have I used them myself.

10/22 are fun to work on !!!

Buy an after market trigger group. About $60.00.
I knew it would just be a matter of time when an used OEM trigger group would be available from someone's upgrade. Paid $15.00 for it and found out that the guy would have taken $10.00. It was an older one and some dings. I cleaned it up and converted it to a Target grade group. My time is cheap and now I have a spare group, ready for the next upgrade …… :rolleyes:

The bolt lock on the 10/22 is sort of weird in terms of how it functions.
How so ???
John, Those are pretty neat links you provided and will reference them, in the future. .. Thanks … :)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
I was saying the same thing you were here: "On the bolt release, the standard can be a pain in the back-side, on releasing."

Basically, those who expect the 10/22 bolt release to work exactly like a bolt release on most semi-autos will probably be surprised.

Auto blt release, should be standard

I was saying the same thing you were here: "On the bolt release, the standard can be a pain in the back-side, on releasing."
Copy that and I have modified a number of releases, to auto-release. I am a Ruger fan and never understood their thinking. By my measure, it takes ,more effort to not issue it with and auto-release. I believe the new Thompson Center TCR-22 comes stock with this as well as lock open on last shot ….. :eek:

Be Safe!!!

Heck, just take the whole thing apart and clean it all... it's easy to take apart.

It's quite a trick to get it back together again until you have figured out that you need to shake and wiggle at just the right place.

The demonstrator on Ruger's website is no help at all- he's a pro and makes it look drop in simple. Go to youtube and find someone less experienced that shakes and rattles the things until they fit.

First time takes two hours of cussing and looking on youtube. Second time takes two minutes. Third time takes 5 seconds.

Best thing is if a buddy at your club or range can show you how.

It's not hard to take apart stinkypete but it can be a pain to reassemble. There's a small spring that goes in the bottom of the housing. I have difficulty getting it into position and keeping it there while slipping the trigger in.

One step at a time !!!

To quote my adopted Texas buddy; "You don't feed a whole bale of hay, to one cow" Or as I use to say; You don't perform brain surgery, for a headache. So, for starters, just do a spray can cleaning, on the trigger group. …… ;)

Be Safe !!!

stinkypete said:
First time takes two hours of cussing ...

So you've seen me do this?

The 10/22 trigger group isn't hard to re-assemble...if you do it in a gravity free environment. It's a sort of three handed puzzle that lets the pin you just got in slide out when you turn it for the next step.

Lacking a gravity free assembly area, I've used masking tape to keep pins from falling out.

Thanks guys for all the input. I have been traveling so have not had a chance to tackle the problem. I think I will pull apart when I get home and try to clean as much as possible without making a major project. I was told by Roger to just send it in, so might give them a shot at refurbishing. Thanks again!!!

To the OP if you are not familiar there is another forum dedicated to rimfire firearms. It is called Rimfire Central, there is a ton of people on it and a lot of great information on the Ruger 10-22.

could be the trigger pivot pin, I had this happen to me once, the stock fit was not tight enough and the pin would walk out enough to prevent the trigger from resetting.

Back