Ruger 10 22 full auto conversion legalities

INGunGuy

OK, before we get into a you cant do this or do that legally, all I need to know is can I convert my Ruger 10 22 to full auto and register it as a FA firearm with the BATF. I understand about the $200 and background checks, etc, etc, etc, but before I undertake this endeavor, I need to know if I can even do it.

I appreciate any information someone can provide.

Thanks,

INGunGuy

Nope, no new MG registrations after May 1986. Sorry! To get a full auto 10/22, expect to pay between $8,000 and $10,000.

As stated, you can only buy a machinegun (in this case, a full auto 10/22) that was registered prior to May, 1986. After that date, no machineguns can be registered for civilian consumption.

So then, if I were to register as a manufacturer of firearms, would I then be able to convert my 10 22?

Thanks,

INGunGuy

If you want to run a business

If you want to run a firearms manuf. business you could get your manuf. license and pay the yearly SOT fee to manuf. NFA weapons. Then you could make a full auto 10-22 to sell to other dealers or manuf or police departments.

You will never be able to keep it.

Your cheapest way to get a full auto 10-22 would be to buy 2 of them now at 10k$ each , and shoot one for the next 10yrs then sell one of them for $20k.

10 22 legalities

I appreciate all the feedback so far, as I am under-educated about some of the more specifics of owning fully automatic firearms. Since my 10 22 was manufactured before the 1984 ban, would it still fall into the category of being unable to be converted to full auto? So, do the modifications, and register the gun as a pre-84 ban machine gun?

Thanks in advance.

INGunGuy

Use a bit of common sense, if all semi auto guns made before 1986 ban could now be converted to full auto and registered, why would people be paying $10,000 for a machinegun, when they could just buy an old semi auto and convert it.

Common sense is fine sometimes...

Well, I am just trying to get all my ducks in a row. So from what I can tell, the ONLY way I can possess NFA weapons would be to purchase a weapon that has been registered, pay the tax, get the background check, then after all is finished, go pick up the weapon.

Correct?

Thanks,

INGunGUy

For machineguns, yes. For other items you still have the option of getting a tax stamp and making your own.

Information

I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to educate me on the more specifics of owning a NFA firearm, more specifically a machine gun. I have been reading thru the text of the FAQ ON NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT WEAPONS. I may still have some questions, because it seems like unless you are a lawyer you need one to understand some aspects of it.

Thanks,

INGunGuy

I know Ingunguy was sincere in his inquiries, but if it were anyone else I would think it was perhaps a reporter or some other individual trying to dig up a angle for a " Did you know" story,:)

Indiana Gun Owner

Yes I am a resident of Indiana, and yes I am a legal gun owner. That is why I am attempting to get all specific information on owning NFA firearms.

Thanks,

INGunGuy

Sorry if I offended, I didn't mean to imply that you weren't a legal gun owner, I was simply suggesting that you might enjoy our little local forum...

Nick

NO offense taken at all! LOL. Just stating that I am. Anyway, I have been reading, and why cant I make a machine gun on Form 1, or is that only for supressors, SBR's and SBS's

INGunGuy

The Hughes Amendment to the 1986 FOPA added 922(o) to the USC... basically, no more new MGs for civilians, period - since it's after the date that law was signed, no more new MGs for civilians, so no more Form 1 MGs. The other classes of NFA items were unaffected, so you can still Form 1 those.

And that ban was signed into law by our Favorite Republican of all Times Ronald Regan.

With the complete approval of the NRA. Reagan offered to veto it. NRA decided the benefits of the '86 FOPA outweighed losing new machineguns.

Back