Ruger 10/22 and Stingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

younggun20

Ive tried shooting the CCI stingers from my ruger. It will fire but will not cycle them. I also noticed they are a tad bit longer is that to blame? This question may have been answered 100 times before but i need an answer and cant find one.

Also has anyone tried the Velocitor rounds from CCI? any feedback on those.

Thanks for the help.

The Ruger 10/22 manual says you should never use stingers in the 10/22 because stingers are longer than standard .22lr rounds. Thats why they wont cycle. I would read the manual, lots of good stuff in there.

hmmm never thought of that, thank you very much. What about the velocitors? I just heard about those the other night on I believe Shooting-USA. Does the same go for those because the are also HV

velocitors should work the case is the same most other 22s. But Stingers work great in my 10/22 but its over 20 years old.

Probably 90% of the rounds through my 10/22 have been Stingers. I have NEVER had a jam. It feeds Stingers and anything else I've ever tried. Is the gun clean and oiled?

The Ruger 10/22 manual says you should never use stingers in the 10/22 because stingers are longer than standard .22lr rounds

Well i have learned something here today i dident know that if it's true.

It's not just the length. Factory 10/22's have an action that is timed for standard velocity ammo. Hyper ammo causes the action to cycle faster. I believe there is a kit out there to change the timing of your action.

My manual says don't use Stingers in the TARGET model. Standard models should be no problem. The target model has a tighter chamber.

When i has a 10-22 a long time ago before it got taken away, i used winchester lazers. My uncles used powerpoints and had problems with them jamming, something to do with the bullet design..

Not sure how much truth is in that though. :confused:

Even though I have not fired many in it, I have never had any problems firing stingers in my stainless 10/22. Deadly combination on groundhogs.

My manual states no stingers and it's was a standard 10/22 when new. There's no mention of target models in the statement. It's about 5 years old. I see that the manual online does state "target model" and does talk about length of the cases. I thought I read about action timing being an issue. Must be thinking of something else.

I just compared the length of a Stinger, Mini-Mag, and Federal bulk pack rounds. They are all the same overall length; the Stinger's case is maybe 2-3 mm longer, but with a correspondingly shorter bullet. And the bullet is only 32gr whereas the Mini-mag is 40gr. I can see where there might be extraction issues if the action does not move back far to pull the case completely from the breech. It's probably more of an issue with the hotter round throwing off the timing of the action.

My 1-year-old 10/22 loves them. That might be because I've replaced the recoil spring with an aftermarket one (she hates anything Remington, though...) :cool:

i saw info that stated yellow jacket travel at about 1600 fps?? not true??

arent they a round that is a few decades old and are they so called 'standard length'???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back