Ruger 10/22 Advantages of the heavy barrel??

twoblink

I currently have a Ruger 10/22 with wood stock and light barrel. Talk about a fun gun to shoot!!!

My friend feels that I should get a heavy barrel. I was wondering what the advantages (if any) the heavy barrel over the light one has? The thing is damn accurate, so I can't believe that my sub 1/2" cluster can get any tighter, short of getting a scope...

If I trick out my 10/22, I'm thinking of going with the hogue stock, and their fluted heavy barrel.

That's another question I had about the hogue stock, some people tell me that the hogue stock is a bit soft and squishy, and hurts in the accuracy department. True? Also, I think they make a hard polymer one don't they?

Thanks!!
Albert

If your rifle is that accurate already, I wouldn't mess with the barrel.
However, there is a rubber bolt buffer you should get to reduce action/receiver wear. It also reduces the cycle end recoil spike. On something that already has as little recoil as a 10/22, you are going to be able to pull off some excessively fast follow-up shots.

[This message has been edited by Shin-Tao (edited June 03, 2000).]

You're shooting under 1/2" at 50 yards? I doubt you'll get any better than that. I put the Hogue stock on my 10/22 and just love it.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

hehehe, just ordered the poly-buffer rod for the rear. Yep...

muleshoe, have you noticed a decrease in accuracy with the hogue? Do you have the soft squishy stuff or the hard plastic?

Albert.

I've got the overmolded soft rubber stock. It feels just like their hundgun grips. I have the heavy factory SS barrel, I shot 1/2" to 3/4" groups at 60 yards before and after the stock change. A week or 10 days ago I bought a Butler Creek carbon fiber barrel for it. The groups went to 1 1/2" with the same 2 kinds of ammo I always shoot. I took the barrel off and put the factory back on 3 different times, each time the BC barrel would shoot 1 1/2" groups and the factory barrel would shoot under 3/4". I called BC and they told me to send them the barrel and they'd replace it. I just mailed it to them last Thursday, we'll see what they send back. I'll keep you posted on their customer service if you'd like. The young lady I talked to on the phone though was real pleasant.

Back to the stock, the Hogue looks more the shape of the M77 Ruger instead of the clublike birchwood. You can use that for firewood. :)

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

The biggest reason to put a heavy barrel on a 10-22 is that it looks cool. :D

------------------
"Carry" on

Rick

I prefer armed combat to unarmed combat. It's easier on the knuckles.

1)How many of you use those curved high-caps with your little rifle? I imagine not many, as 10/22 shooters appear to be mini-snipers.
2)Have any of you tried the 10/22 magnum? What do you think?

I think that in general, the .22Mag is the answer to a question that nobody asked. If you want more power than the .22LR, why not move up to a .22 centerfire caliber?

1/2" at 50 is pretty good for a stock 10/22.
I'd buy a good scope and leave well enough alone. Most of us who have replaced the stock, barrel, and trigger parts would love to be getting that kind of grouping. The 10/22 is very much like the 1911 .45. With so many replacement parts available you are tempted to make a good thing better. The other reason the 10/22 is so often tricked out is that it can be made to look so cool with all the custom stocks and barrel combos out there. If you are intent on replacing the stock and barrel then go for it! I've done two so far and have had a blast doing them. Now I wish I could get them to shoot 1/2" at 50yds. Maybe I should buy a stock 10/22(heh, heh).

[This message has been edited by katana (edited June 04, 2000).]

I wanted to get the .22mag when they first came out as I am a 10/22 fan but kept on putting it off. Then I seriously started to asked myself, 'Why do I want one?'. I got a few customized 10/22s that will accurately reach out to 100yds without breaking a sweat. The .22mag ammo is 6-8 times the cost of .22lr so it wouldn't be shot nearly as much as the .22lrs. If I needed to shoot something farther, heck, just break out the .22-250. johnwill got it right.
It would be more quiet than the .22-250, though.

------------------
- Ron V.

I generally shoot high and to the left, I notice that the grouping gets a bit worse after about 500 rounds in one session, the cluster gets big, like an inch to an inch and a half... Those dummy targest with the body parts clearly marked? I find the spleen and gall bladder the easiest to shoot, the round white outline draws your eyes to it. I can put 50 shots into that little place marked spleen. :-) The only problem I'm having is after about 50 shots, my contacts get a bit blurry, and the gold bead in front gets hard to see.

I was wondering if there were ghost rings for this gun....

The other decision is scope, how much to spend? Should I go cheap $50 for a tasco or bushnell, or go high end, Zeiss, Leupold, Leica etc...?

The heavier barrel looks more intimidating, but if it doesn't do squat for accuracy, or heat dissapation, then it's not worth it. I thought about it, and I think the stock looks great. I like the wood... The rear part of the butt is a bit slippery, so I might put a bit of tact tape, or foam tape, but other than that, I don't see any other reason..

I might get a second 10/22, I might just keep a stock one, and then trick out a second one.... Let me know what you guys have done to yours!

Albert

I added a heavy barrel to my 10/22. I was told to buy a clark custom or a valquartson barrel and leave the others alone. The people that I spoke to said that they were not much better that the standard barrel that came with it. My Clark custom shoots very well. I have not got it out to 50 yards yet (have not been out to a longer range yet)but at 25 yard it will clover leaf. I have sent two round though almost the same hole. (this is federal gold cup ammunition) I would spend the money all over again! The biggest difference that I noticed in the barrels is the rifling and the chamber for the round. The rifling is a faster twist that the orignal and the chamber is much tighter in tolerances. (you need to shoot better ammo but it will shoot some cheep stuff also but not as well)

Back