Ruger #1

Judge Blackhawk

Where can I find a Ruger #1 in .308 caliber. I have been looking for one, ever since I read that blasted book Ruger the man and his guns. There is a picture of a Ruger #1 in .308 caliber.

I am a .308 nut, I have several rifles in .308 and love them.

Please if you know were there is one, let me know

Judge Blackhawk

P.S. Who rebarrels ruger #1's, that might be an option.

Dunno where in Texas you are, but you could call McBride's Guns in Austin, or Carter Country (2 locations, I believe) in Houston.

Good luck, Art

I had one a few years back in .375 H&H Mag, it was a nice rifle. My local dealer tells me that Ruger only makes the Model 1's twice a year. That explains the lack of caliber choices floating around.

Judge Blackhawk:
This does not answer your question but I have a Ruger #1 International in .270 Win.
Sir, the Ruger #1 is a pure pleasure to shoot and I'm sure you will also enjoy yours.
BTW I'll check my local gunshop, they have
several Ruger #1's, don't know if they have one in .308 butwill find out.
:)

------------------
"Lead, follow or get the HELL out of the way."

Judge blackhawk. I have seen only one Ruger #1 in .308 Win. It was a model 1AB. It was at a gun show going for $800.00. When I questioned the price, the man selling it said that they were a very limited edition.
This would probably explain the scarcity of this rifle.
I have a Model 77 Ruger in .358 Win. I recently learned that less than 500 of these rifles were made on special order for some distributer. I imagine the .308 was a similar situation.
I too want one in .308. I have a #1A in .270 that is not a great shooter, and I'm thinking about having the Harry Lawson Company rebarrel it to .308. They've built 3 rifles for me, and while they are not cheap, the work is well above average, and all three rifles are winners. One is a .308 (naturally) with lawsons lightweight thumbhole stock. it weighs exactly 5 pounds using a Steyr Mauser action. That's 5 pounds, loaded sling scope and all. :) Recoil ain't bad either.
If I decide to get it done, I'll pass it on as to how it comes out.
My Lawson price list is a bit old now, but bolt action rifle rebarreling was $298 plus whatever blueing ran.
I hope this was of some help.
Paul B.

Judge Blackhawk:
I talked with my local gunshop (SoCal) yesterday, the owner said he did not have the Ruger #1 in .308 in stock but his distributor
had them and delivery time would only be a few days. Why not check with your local gunstore and see if they can order one for you? :)

------------------
"Lead, follow or get the HELL out of the way."

Back