Ruger #1 or Marlin Guide Gun

Alex T

Inactive
I´d like to get one of them in .45-70 just for plinking and fun. Which of them you like more. And is the #1 more accurate at 100m (max 200m)?
The #1 will take more pressure (I´m handloading), bit the Marlin´s got 4 extra shot in the tube.
What do you think?

Greeting, ALEX

For target shooting and testing reloads, the Ruger #1 hands down. For traipsing through the woods plinking, the Guide gun is a lot more compact, and points faster, though in my opinion, its is not as inherently accurate as the falling block Ruger.

It comes back to what you really want to do with it.

I would love to have a Marlin in 45-70. It looks like it would be a complete hoot to shoot... :)

have fun...

------------------
.45 Super... Fat and FAST...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

Alex, if you want a gun for plinking and fun, the question is, "Do you find accuracy and precision more fun, or do you find shooting fast fun?" With practice, you can get the #1 to shoot almost as fast as the Marlin. Go with the #1 -- I ordered one (a .458) and hope to pick it up tomorrow. I did get to see and hold it though -- gorgeous rifle. Ruger all the way man!

Hueco

I've shot both and you have a hard decision ahead of you. They are both great guns! If I were you, I would get the Marlin first, then the Ruger later on. Why? I don't know. Decision, decisions... :)

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited March 23, 2000).]

Alex T:

Obviously you are selecting from two excellent firearms, which makes it pretty hard to go wrong.

I am a great fan of the Ruger #1 and enjoy shooting mine very much. I keep mine scoped with a Leupold 4 power, and with our factory ammo it will routinely deliver MOA or better accuracy. It is elegant, compact, and utterly reliable in function. However, it does kick substantially harder than the Marlins in their various configurations. By comparison, the Marlins deliver about 1.5-MOA, which is quite good considering that the caliber is not a long range caliber. The Marlins are also quite strong, and will deliver power more than adequate for the largest game. Although the Rugers are stronger and will accomodate more potent loadings, the recoil generated by such loadings will equal or exceed the recoil levels of the 458 Winchester Magnum with factory loads. This is due to the light weight of the Ruger #1 when chambered in 45-70. When the Ruger #1 is chambered in 458, the gun carries about 2 pounds more weight, which tends to decrease the recoil effect. To the extent that speed of fire is a consideration, the lever-gun clearly has the advantage. Also, when hunting, the lever-gun allows the shooter to reload without having to take his eyes off the target, whereas the single-shot requires the shooter to look at the gun during the reloading process, and then reacquire the target. This delay is a significant shortcoming if a second shot is required.

Since you are selecting from two excellent firearms, you probably can't go too far wrong. However, if your interest is in hunting, I would think that the Marlin would have the edge. If your interest is just target shooting, then it is not such an easy call. It is true that the Ruger has greater inherent accuracy potential, but the Ruger also kicks harder, something that can easily cancel out the accuracy advantage.

Best regards, Randy Garrett www.garrettcartridges.com

I could nto make my mind up so I got both. Found the Ruger #1 45-70 in 200th Year of American Liberty and the Marlin was a 1999 ballard rifle production gun.
Both are fun to shoot

Alex. I have 6 #1's and only one marlin. One #1 is the 45-70, as is the Marlin. The best of both worlds. :) I'm looking for a #1 in .458 mag. now. I already have the .375 H&H. Also .300 Win. Mag., 7x57. .270 Win. and 30-06.
What Randy Garrett says is true. With the stouter loads, the #1 will get your attention. Try 500 plus gr. bullets at about 1550 FPS and you'll soon get the message. I'm working up loads for this years hunts. I plan, the good Lord a'willin' to let me draw tags, to use my #1's exclusively. Prfobably the .375 for elk and the 7x57 for deer. Been trying for antelope for 21 years. Ain't drawn one yet. If I get lucky, I'll probably use the .270.
Tell you what. Heads it's the #1, tails the Marlin. Save you some wearf and tear on the brain.
Paul B.

Thanks for all your inputs. Think I´ll go with the marlin, as this is my first gun and to own a leaver-action ist a must, isn´t it?
:-)

Alex T:

The nice thing about your decision, is that you really can't make a bad choice. Both of the guns you are considering are fine choices indeed. It is my opinion that the lever gun is the better choice for hunting, and definitely the better choice for dangerous game, but for anything this side of dangerous game, the Ruger #1 is also a fine choice! Congratulations on chosing a stellar caliber, you won't be sorry.

Best regards, Randy Garrett www.garrettcartridges.com

Unless you're planning on some serious, fairly long range shooting from a rest, the accuracy issue is not that relevant to me. There's not likely enough difference in accuracy between the two to matter, particularly anything that anybody standing and shooting is going to notice.

I suggest the Marlin Guide Gun. I put Ashley Outdoors ghost ring sights on mine, and I seem to be able to hit anything I can see within reasonable ranges. I love it.

If you're planning on driving nails at 200 yards from a bench, go with the Ruger. You might be able to tell a difference in that case; otherwise, I don't think you're likely to see any difference in the type of shooting one generally does with a .45-70.

Greg

------------------
"Happiness is a warm gun" John Lennon 1966

Paul B., I've been thinking of getting a Ruger No. 1 in .300 mag. for some time now, but haven't been able to shoot one. How does yours shoot? Is the recoil comparable to a bolt gun in the same caliber? What kind of accuracy can you get? sorry for all the questions. . . :)
Shake

This to Randy,

Like to call your attention to an article (story) that I read in the recent Shotgun news about Sharps rifles, et al at extreme long ranges. Now they were talking about 50-90's and 45-110's being tested at Yuma Proving Grounds. They were flinging chunks of lead out to ranges of over 3000 yards with terminal velocities still over 300 FPS, but I have a feeling the same applies to the 45-70.

They CAN be made to shoot accurately at long range. The original Creedmore matches were won by the American team shooting Rolling Block Remington's chambered in 45-70. The matches were fired at 1000 yards - hardly short ranges there! Also, with iron sights.

I grew up being told that the 45-70 had a trajectory like a rainbow and wasn't much good beyond 200 yards. I know now that this is only so much pap. In the course of this conversation, the issue is more aligned with close range knock down power, but I think that it's important to note that this round is definitely NOT relegated to the 100 yard range! Unkel Gilbey

Shake. Recoil is tolerable considering the power. For some wierd reason, Ruget #1s seem to kick a bit harder than other rifles, but you get used to it. I did 40 rounds from a hot loaded 45-70 and 24 rounds from the .375 H&H yesterday, and nary a bruise. I'm not even sore.
The load I use in the .300Win. Mag is over max in almost all the books, and the bullet is no longer available. It is the 200 gr. Nosler partition round nose. The rifle will do 3/8 inch if I do my part.
I also have a Win. Model 70 with a lightweight 26" barrel that will do 3/4 inch with the 200 gr. Speer spitzer, again, when I do my part. I'll have to try that load in the #1.
Paul B.

Back