rucksack help

Stray1

I am looking for a new ruck. I have been using army issue large alice pack. I am leaning towards the Eagle Industries- Ranger Patrol pack. I would like to stay under $200. Any advice would be helpful.

check out Blackhawk Tactical's website. they have a lot of good stuff, but you might have to go above the $200 mark on some of their stuff. however, their stuff is really durable and well made. you could also customize your large ruck with better shoulder straps, etc. for fairly cheap. i took off the metal loops that you run the staps through to close the top and i replaced them with black plastic clips so you can open and close your main compartment easier. i wish i had a picture to show you better. also, there's a company called london bridge trading or something to that effect, and they have about the same stuff as blackhawk. good luck!

Eagle's Becker is a great pack - I've had a chance to use it and it would not fail you.

I'm a bit partial to Blackhawk myself. The SOF ruck

60sof1.jpg

will run you about $160 at the above link. It's what I use at work and is an absolutely excellent piece of gear.
It would fit right on your ALICE frame and you could use the issue straps and kidney pad, or pamper yourself and upgrade those also :D

Have fun!

Dan

Have you checked out www.londonbridgetrading.com
They make some excellent equipment.
Eagle is also a great choice

I gave up on Blackhawk when they began making their stuff overseas. Check out their labels if you have a stocking dealer nearby. It is a who's who of asian countries. Also have had some bad experiences with their customer service.

Yup, it's true.

Korea and Mexico. The quality is up and the prices stay down - so I'm sticking with them.

If you had any bad experiences, you can contact the pres. directly. Mike is a real personable guy and really does care about what people think. E-mail him he will get back to you right away. MIKE@BlackhawkIndustries.com

People can and should use whatever makes them happy. There is LBT, Eagle, TT and a bunch of Blackhawk gear floating around my teamroom. One is just as good as another.

Right now a Swiss watch, German car and Korean made tactical gear keeps me happy. As long as the quality is there and it works well - I'm happy.

Sorry to rant like this, I know I'll appear biased because I also have a side business that sells Blackhawk - but that isn't the reason. I use the stuff because I trust it -- I've deployed all over the world with it, and given the choice, that's what I use.

OK -- I'll get off my soapbox :D

Have fun!

Dan

I like Teddy Roosevelt's method of carrying goods: porters with huge loads atop their heads and stretching back on the trail as far as the eye can see. :p Too bad I don't have Teddy's budget. :(

thanks for the help. my team is deploying again, and i'm not going out w/ the alice gear anymore. I think i'm going to order the Eagle industries, Airborne Assault Pack. Little more than i wanted to spend, but i think it will be better suited for my needs. thanks

AIRBORNE!

If you like the looks of the BHI, call Gene at High Speed gear. He will take your regular Alice ruck and modify it to almost the exactly the same design as the BHI, BUT made here in the USA. Gene made mine with the top flap detachable to be used as a day pack, and dumped the claymore pouch for another three pack of rifle mags that hold 12 M-16 mags.(you can also put in items like a water purifier, ect) He also added the Ali-pad hydration system that hold 2 100oz camelbaks and suplements the padding. With a new alice frame the total cost was $265. If you dont like the Ali-pad you can get it done for under $200 on your Alice pack.

Here is his photo album. Gene is a great guy, VERY helpfull. Tell him PvtPyle sent you.

http://community.webshots.com/user/oopers

BTW Gene makes lots of gear for the Marine Force Recon team at Camp Lejune, which is right across the street from his shop.

Last edited:
Guys, this is stray1's second and third posts - he's new to TFL, and a good friend of mine. Plz give him a warm welcome. Stray, good to have ya here!

Back