Rubber to wood grips

hube1236

My Gp-100 came with the standard Ruger finger nail takedown grips, and I am looking to snazz up the revolver a little with one of those pretty Pachmyer wood grips with all of the cool little lines in them. Will this increase the perceived recoil of the revolver?

It is 357.

Also with that alternate method of attaching the grips to the frame, is there any wobble?

a good high quality wooden grip feels as good or better than rubber.especialy the finfered ones.
i replaced the pacmar combat(rubber)grip with a beautiful wooden fingered grip with a bottom piece on a 44 mag i had and the recoil and handling were much improved.

I doubt you will notice any difference in recoil with your .357, aftermarket wood grips are a good way to personalize your gun ,I buy them for all mine even the heavy recoil guns like my 629 4" wears wood grips with an exposed backstrap.

Biggie is how the grip fits YOUR hand. Proper shape wood grip easier on the body than wrong shape rubber. Since we all have different hand specs, tis indeed a very individual thing.

Tough when you can't try before you buy. Easy to get a box of grips that didn't quite feel right.

Nuther thing that adds to my collection of dud grips. I like to have all my handguns point alike. Sometimes that takes a bit of fiddlin to achieve.

Sam

I've reached the point that wheelguns don't look right without a nice, wood Hogue Monogrip on them; Goncalo Alves or Cocobolo for stainless, Pau Ferro or Rosewood for blued.

The GP-100 should be plenty comfortable with a good set of wood grips; I don't worry about covering the backstrap with something squooshy until we're talking .454 Casull recoil levels.

As an aside, nothing will turn a sixgun from a wallflower into the prom queen like the perfect set of wood grips. :D

Who's got the best deal on Hogue grips?

I like Hogue grips, and they seem to be available from at a lot of places. However, what are your opinions of the best online store to buy them (apart from the Hogue Internet site itself; I assume that their prices would be on the high side) in term of good choice, service and of course price. Not trying to chisel a coupla bucks here, but their wood grips are expensive.
All info welcome and appreciated
PS5

Compared to some of the makers, I think wood Hogues have the most bang for the buck. Try Brownells for a good price on Hogues if you get the trade discount, but you will be limited to your choices on wood and models. Sling Shot

Wood Stocks for revolvers

For my birthday last May, my son surprised me with a beautiful set of pau ferro Mickulek (sp?) stocks from Wilson, for my S&W Mountain Gun. He had noticed me admiring such at a couple of pistol matches, then got order information from one of the owners. I have very specific preferences on handgun stocks--no finger grooves, for instance. These are just excellent! Very pretty wood grain, no checking, and the "monogrip" type construction, with the stirrup retainer and the screw on bottom. They handle the recoil of stout .45 Colt loads very well and look great.

Hope you find something that suits you as well.
Best,
Johnny

Back