Rubber Rings in Bullets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groundhog34

I shot my PPS classic 9mm today. It functioned fine 100 rounds without issue. I noticed when the slide was open after the final round in the magazine 2 small rings of a rubber like material near the ejection port. They were about 9mm in diameter and made of some plastic/rubber material. I assume they were from the ammo. I was using Remington Golden Saber. NO, I do not have a picture I did not have my phone with me. I assume they were used in manufacturing the ammo. I am old and have fired tens of thousands of rounds and only remember seeing things like this a couple of times before. What are they?

Last edited:
No small arms ammo I have ever heard of used rubber rings as a sealant. I know Golden Sabre doesn't use anything like that. Stuff like that would jam up a pistol and make it unusable in short order.

I hope you kept the mystery rings and can post an image of them.

Borrow a camera! We are all interested in this phenomenon.

I once found some ammo that did not make any noise, then I found my hearing aid wires caught in the bolt!

That's sort of what I was thinking. If the rings didn't come from the ammo, they almost certainly came from the pistol itself.

They have made rubber shock absorbers certainly for the 45acp 1911 ! :o
But they seem to have disappeared after too many would break up and jam the pistol !!! :p
Those were the days ['80s ? ] when a good number of real shooters checked it out and ran away when they saw jammed guns ! Not for me either as my life was more important than babying my gun ! Our world changed at the very close Nyack NY incident ! :eek:

I have a variety of "shock adsorbers" for my Colt 1911 and my mm Hi Power.
Some are fairly soft and some pretty hard.
They are polymer and not rubber.
They work not in reducing recoil but in life of the gun, particularily the 10mm.
Never had any problems with them. Lot of rounds on the medium hard one in the gun now.

I assume they were used in manufacturing the ammo.
They may have had some purpose at the factory but they aren't directly related to the ammo in any other way.

I think they inadvertently found their way into the box.

Even if these rubber/plastic rings somehow got into a box of ammo, how would they have gotten into the gun without being noticed unless they were actually inside the cartridge cases? If they were in the cartridge cases, why wouldn't they have gone out the muzzle with the bullet and the 5000fps rush of gases?

Unless the OP remembers putting the rubber/plastic rings into the magazine with the ammunition, I just don't see how they got into the gun where they could be found "near the ejection port" after the gun had been fired.

It would be hard to mistake them for rubber/plastic since they're made of metal.

Also, the reason they exist is to hold the bullet together at impact to prevent jacket separation. It goes without saying that they're designed to stay on even during bullet impact and they do. I've seen pictures of bullets shot into gel and even through steel and the belt stays on. Obviously they can't do their job if they fall off in the gun.

If that's what these rings are and they're coming off in the gun something is really, REALLY wrong.

Did you start shooting with a clean firearm. You would have seen a ring when loading , must be some kind of buildup. But there is always a first time for everything.

The gun was cleaned before shooting. There were 2 rings in the pistol. I took them out with a knife they appeared to be and felt like rubber rings 9mm in diameter they were on the slide near the ejection port. I wonder if they could have been placed between the bullet and the shell during the manufacturing process. To the member calling for pictures READ MY FIRST POST. In 60 years of shooting I can only remember seeing things like this once before many years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Groundhog34
Very strange, anythings possible. Lucky nothing happened to your 9 , better get into reloading. I like reloading just as much as shooting, great hobby making accurate reloads. Makes shooting your own more injoyable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back