Rubber bands for broadheads?

eddiemeddiem

Inactive
This is an archery question, but I figured it best belongs here.

The little bitty rubber bands the hold the blades in on my mechanical broadheads tend to dry out and crack after a year or two... Can anyone recommend where to buy some cheap replacements?

When I was using mechanicals, I went to a dentist friend and got some of the rubber bands that he uses on braces. They are made from a lot better stuff that what comes on your broadheads. I figured that if they can take the crap that most of us put in our mouth, they can take about anything mother nature can dish out. I have some on some arrows that have been on there for several years and they are as good now as the day I put them on.

I can get a 100 count bag from a dental supply place for about the same price as a package of 3 from the archery places.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know why I didn't google it before I posted, but thought of it right after. Google search led to the same conclusion to use orthodontic rubber band. I found packs on 100 online... That should last a while

Those rubber bands are just not "field tough".
A comparable size o-ring is a bit tougher and offers more contact surface to be pulled back on contact.
Their are better quality open on impact heads that utilize a ball detent instead of rubber bands/o-rings etc.

Personally, Ive had two open on contact heads not open with clean hits from tuned arrows. I dont trust them.
Big fan of woodsman broadheads, made from a single piece of tool steel, cut on contact tip, ashby-like shape for max penetration.

Back