RPR: Ready to Shoot as-is, or be Prepared to Make Changes?

Swifty Morgan

My Ruger PR should be in my hands later this week. I want to be ready.

Is there any reason this thing won't be ready to go, right out of the box? Some guns have flaws pretty much everyone fixes as soon as they get them. For example, I got rid of my mil-spec AR-15 trigger right away.

I have all the accessories. Scope, rings, bipod, bags, and mat.

Start out with cleaning the rifle, get all the proper equipment for doing the job.

Bore guide, proper size and length cleaning rod, solvents...

Scope, proper tools to mount the base and rings. If you plan on lapping the rings, proper tools and equipment for that also.

Torque wrench in "inch" pounds to check and properly torque down the action screws, scope rings and mount...

These should get you shooting without any problems and help fix any that might pop up at the range. Have fun and post an AAR when you get home.

In terms of modding, the RPR requires nothing other then adjusting the trigger to what you prefer. As a owner of one now for 3 years I can say besides a barrel swap after shooting out the first one ( 6.5 CM and it lasted 3122 rds) the only other thing I did to it was change the buttstock after the 2nd year when I decided I wanted it to match my other chassis build. Great Rifle and impresses me every time I being it out to ring steel.

Sounds like I'm not in a situation where the gun will arrive one week, and I won't get to shoot it until the next week. Thanks for the help.

I'm looking forward to trying it. My big achievement so far was hitting a gong at 1060 yards. With better equipment, maybe I'll be able to think about hitting the center.

Changing stuff on a rifle before you have even taken it to the range is a serious mistake in my opinion. I have a buddy who wanted a .280 AI so he bought a Kimber Montana before he even fired a round he removed the factory bedding and bedded it himself, recut the crown, tuned the trigger, adjusted the firing pin, reshaped and repainted the factory stock to his liking all before ever firing a round.

He never could get the rifle to shoot, so he contacted Kimber they told him it was his problem because he had voided any warranty they offered. So that's why you shoot the rifle first before making any changes, second reason is you only change one thing at a time so if you screw something up you know where you did it. My buddy is a master tool & die maker/machinist he just doesn't work as a gunsmith.

I'll agree with Taylorce1.
Do a cleaning, and shoot it first.
But be aware, while there are many rifles capable of acceptable accuracy at long range, there are only a few capable of producing it repeatably/consistently.
Can i make a $300, used Savage shoot to 1,000 yards? Yes, absolutely!
Is it ideal? No.

Gunwerks is the only company advertising "1,000 yards out of the box". And those are usually in the $10,000 range. :eek:
There are other manufacturers capable of it also, but your looking custom builds.

I'll relate it to this.
Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go?

Agree

I'll agree with Taylorce1.
Do a "light" cleaning, and shoot it first.

Pretty much agree with this, unless It's a duplicate of what I already have and upgraded. Case in point would be a 10/22 and before range-time I install a buffer. Shooting it first, will give you a base-line on what you may want to upgrade, later. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

My gun arrived at the shop hours ago, but the NICS check probably won't come through until tonight. At least I got to fondle it briefly.

The RPR in 6.5 CM is getting to be the top performer as far as "out of the box" outstanding shooter. They are getting to be a very common sight on my gun clubs' 600 yd firing line, and for good reason.

---but the NICS check probably won't come through until tonight.
Interesting. An uptick in check volume or just a slowage in your particular area? I watched a guy at my local gun store a couple weeks ago get checked out in...well I won't say 10 minutes but it was certainly less than the 20 minutes I was there shopping. And that's filling out the 4473 AND the NICS check.

Hope I get to use it a few times before the end of the world.
Here's an old joke for you...New York Times headline:
"World to End Tomorrow...Women, Children and Minorities Expected to Be Affected the Most"

Interesting. An uptick in check volume or just a slowage in your particular area? I watched a guy at my local gun store a couple weeks ago get checked out in...well I won't say 10 minutes but it was certainly less than the 20 minutes I was there shopping. And that's filling out the 4473 AND the NICS check.

Florida is doing over 200,000 checks per month, and most are taking a while. The guy at the pawn shop said he was seeing two kinds of checks: 5 minutes and 4 hours.

Switfy, let us know how it shoots! By all accounts it should be clean, shoot, smile. They are notoriously out of the box accurate.

I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a background check... I mean literally never, and that's in multiple states since I've moved a lot with work. I guess I've just been lucky?

Back