RPR 22lr

ninosdemente

This past weekend's range visit as I was scavenging for brass... I was at the 100yd area and noticed a guy that had a RPR... at first from distance was not able to determine what caliber but as I passed him it was a 22lr.

As I was passing him again to return to the vehicle, I saw the rifle on the side... he was taking out another rifle so I kindly asked if it was a RPR and he confirmed it was and the caliber as well. The second thing I said not trying to take up your time but how does it shoot. He said fine... but at this point he had his @$$ face (lol) so I just thanked him for his time and walked away (1.5 hrs left until closing time, by this time there was barely people).

Not saying I am getting one of these as I have in mind a Ruger 10/22 as a co-worker says he enjoys his.

How would it really differ from other rifles in general as far as bolt action 22lr's?

From what I've heard/read/seen, the RPR is mostly a cosmetic application of the Ruger American Rimfire with $100+ added for the cost of the lipstick and makeup. I have no and see no use for the 30MOA angled optic rail but maybe someone does.
I have a RAR 17HMR that I'm not exactly impressed with. I also have a RAR 22lr that IS impressive. It's in no way competitive with something like Son's CZ but it's definitely a superlative price point plinker. Shooting sub-sonic with the muffler, it's about 3/4" @ 75 yards.
Over the weekend, the RAR 22 was smacking 3" swingers @ 75 yards 100% for my Daughter and hen eggs @ 40 yards when the the Grandkids held it right. A quick change to the full length stock and Dad/Grandpa can beat up the 100 yard swingers. That makes everyone happy.

If you are interested in a 10/22, there are tons and tons of mods and improvements that can be done to make the 10/22 action a very accurate weapon. You can have a playing card cutting 22lr RF for <$500 (excluding glass) with the right mods and ammo.

I've considered one, but will probably pick up one of these eventually instead.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/models.html

If I understand right it is the same action and barrel with a more conventional, and cheaper stock. It wont be as adjustable, or look as tactical, but I bet they are just as accurate.

I do have one of these. If someone in contemplating a 10-22 I'd highly recommend any of the Sporters over the standard carbine. This is one accurate rifle. It is every bit as accurate as my CZ 452 American. Cost is only slightly more than the standard carbines and the stock design is far better. The medium weight target barrel doesn't make for a rifle that is too heavy, mine is about 7 1/4 lbs scoped.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Sporter/specSheets/1237.html

Mine shoots 1" 100 yard groups with CCI Mini-Mag ammo. A little better with target ammo, but I'm zeroed for the CCI's and the difference isn't that great. I shoot it at 200-225 yards quite often. It is minute of clay target out to 225 once you get the elevation figured out.

I have both the 10/22 and the Ruger Standard American .22. Both guns are great shooters. My old 10/22 is well over 50 years old, and still shoots amazingly well (and I haven't a clue as to how many thousands of rounds have been through it, but it's many). The new RA bolt gun I have shoots better than the old 10, but then it should, too. Both rifles have scopes, and I really don't do much shooting beyond 50 yds. with either. They are both FUN! I use CCI standard velocity for ammo in both; no need to try any other, anymore. Good ammo, very available, very accurate and about as cheap as I can find. I'm all good with Ruger and CCI.

BTW, I still have the original rotary mag I got with that old 10/22. It still works as good as it did back in the 60's when I got the rifle. That same mag works equally as well in my new RA, too. I believe that says quite a bit for Ruger's quality and consistency (IMO). Also, I have the old C4 Weaver rimfire scope on the 10; still works great, with no parallax. The newer RA has a 4X Nikon rimfire on it. I like it; very clear optics, and I've found it completely reliable since I've used it on the rifle.

Thanks guys for the replies and for the links jmr40. I have to admit... looks interesting to me... but still wouldn't get it. At the moment I have a Marlin XT-22 and a M&P 15-22. My son enjoys the M&P but lately we have been out at the 50yds and that rifle has a red dot which I don't plan on putting a scope on it.

He likes the Marlin but the only complaint is the action a bit rough... just have to find something to remove where it is grinding on to make it smoother.

Which is the reason why I was looking into a 10/22. Just a bit hard to decide as there are so many different options. I guess I would have to ask my son if he likes bolt or semi as it would mainly be for him.

The biggest draw I seen with the RPR 22LR is for people who have a RPR in xxx caliber and they want to work the fundamentals on a less expensive but neat copycat rifle. The action has ability to have the same throw range and pull off the larger calibers. So essentially it gives the owner lots of trigger time in a similar feeling right for pennies. I would be curious, as a RPR owner but I already have a beauty of a 10/22 I enjoy way too much.

Back