Royal Robbins 5.11 Vest Photos & Short Review

HKguy9

Got my RR 5.11 **TACTICAL** vest from New York Clothiers, and subtlely tactical it is. The DESIGN itself is real good, pockets everywhere with shooters in mind. However the quality itself is only so-so. Threading could be better, a couple loose ones here and there. Got it for about $40. Made in Cambodia.

Here's a pic of the left bellows pocket which is a triple pistol magpouch. Here's a pic of my USP45 mags in there.

Attachments

• rr511_45mags.jpg
    rr511_45mags.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 375
The right side has no big pocket but rather two rifle magpouches. It fit my M1A mags fine. Also inside the pocket there is a tactical key fob. So you can keep a lanyard attached to your keys but still drive with it always attached. Or something.

Attachments

• rr511_308.jpg
    rr511_308.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 272
There is a 'conceal carry' pocket on the inside that is barely tall enough to fit my mid-size USP45C, which is a little large for a 'compact' pistol. Practicality would vary from pistol to pistol...I wouldn't pocket carry as the draw is slow and prone to snagging. But it is there as a last resort. It's velcro and not zippered so isn't secure enough for your super secret documents, passport and wallet, etc. though there is a zippered pocket on the outside but is rather slim and may not fit some wallets.

I can fit my Beretta in there, by the way. I wouldn't carry it that way...may work better for subcompact pistols or revolver thingy but I don't have either.

Attachments

• rr511_usp.jpg
    rr511_usp.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 252
The inside of the vest has some snap loops for...I don't know...a belt maybe? Here it is attached to my SOE Gear vest and thigh rig. The buttons aren't very secure and come off easily with some jostling...but you can leave your vest loaded with ammo and your belt attached and good to go, if you're into that.

Attachments

• rr511_belt.jpg
    rr511_belt.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 241
The magpouches also fit 12ga shells nicely. I can fit about 16 in there comfortably in EACH pocket, maybe up to 20 but it starts to get to be a tight fit.

Attachments

• rr511_12ga.jpg
    rr511_12ga.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 184
Here's a pic of me wearing it with the Smelly Benelli (tm), SOE thigh rig mit USP45C and reaching in for some 12ga pigeon repellant. I have slim girly paws and long banjo pickin' fingers so I can reach WAYYY to the bottom of the pocket. Those of you blessed/cursed with larger paws may not be able to use the pockets as 12ga shell pouches as well those of us of the smaller variation.

Attachments

• rr511_benelli.jpg
    rr511_benelli.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 311
And as a bonus, the magpouches fit a Canon 420EX tactical Weaver-mounted flash, depending on what you're shooting ;)

Attachments

• rr511_canon.jpg
    rr511_canon.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 185
Thanks, Skunk. I keep seeing these in skul. I beginning to think it's some sort of uniform. It's hard to be tactical in a pair of 501s and a "Friends of the Library" T-shirt!:D

Erick, well, at least I wear black hightops which refer to as my "GSG9 boots"! "Look, Louis, what do you think of my ubertactical black footgear? Kerrrk, here's a clue for youuu. I think you need to up your meds!":D

Back