Rovatec Bullite Laser Training System - Experiences?

nemo2econ

Has anyone had any experience with the Rovatec Bullite Laser Training System?

For those of you who haven't heard of this, the Bullite is basically a Laser Snap Cap that fires a 10-millisecond-duration laser pulse with each contact of the firing pin, and is used for training, primarily with handguns, I believe.

The product was introduced at the SHOT show in early 2005.

"The Bullite laser-training bullet, used by the Israeli defense forces (IDE) and law enforcement agencies, is now available to civilian gun owners. The Bullite simulates live fire from any handgun or rifle and enables completely safe, fan, yet realistic firearm practice. With up to 10,000 discharges, the Bullite is the size end shape of a standard cartridge and fits into the chamber of any personal firearm, from pistols to shotguns to rifles. The Bullite is great for the beginner, intermediate and advanced shooters, offering the gun owner a safe and exciting training experience. When activated by the firing pin, the Bullite emits o laser pulse visible for at least 50 feet during the day, indoors, and at night. Visit them on the Web at www.rovatec.com"​

I searched the Firing Line Forums for "Bullite" and for "Rovatec" and found only a couple of threads that even mention Bullite -- not much info for what should be a pretty useful training tool, that by now should have a number of users who read these forums.

Anyone have experience with these? Do they work? Do they improve your shooting? Timing? Accuracy? Holster drills?

Any reliability or product issues or customer service experiences to share?

I've looked at it in the past and think it has potential, but at that time they didnt have a state-side rep who could demo the product..........

No experience with this product, but it looks very interesting.

I don't particularly like that you have to purchase an entire $180 kit for each caliber. If I want to train in a pistol chambered in 9mm, .40, and .45 - that's well over $500. Yikes.

It would be nice if the kit included everything but the housing for the laser, and you could purchase a housing for each caliber for $25 or so.

I think better money would be spent for a lazer sight and practice dry firing with it. You will see how your gun control is then. Plus you have a lazer sight on your gun as well as a good training aid with trigger/gun control.

I've used both the Bullite and the LaserBlaster. They each have pros & cons.

The Bullite is completely internal to the gun (if you do not use the safety rod), as oppsed to the LaserBlaster which hangs out the end of the barrel. That has some limited impact on drawing & reholstering.

The Laserblaster is friction fitted to the barrel & can work loose. Readjustment is quick, easy &needs a medium Phillipshead screwdriver at worst but can usually be done by hand. The Bullite is pretty much a put-it-in-and-forget-it device.

LaserBlasters can wear down the batteries just by leaving them in. I'm going through some conversations with Rovatec on how long their batteries last in the Bullite. They DO have good customer service and are very interested in learning how the product holds up in real life. Rovatec has provided excellent customer support all the way.

LaserBlaster is a laser tube with a bunch of inserts for varying calibers. You can get it into anything from .38/.357 to 12-guage. Bullite is caliber-specific.

I guess the question is - how much are you going to be put off by 1/4-inch hanging out the end of your barrel? You get that with LaserBlaster but not with Bullite.

Hope this helps.

stay safe.

skidmark

I bought a Bullite...

Okay, having asked the question at the start of this thread six weeks ago -- and getting some good information from Skidmark, with whom I've communicated with several times offline from this thread -- I now have a Bullite .45 ACP laser training bullet in my 1911 pistol.

I've had it installed, up and working for two weeks now.

Overall, I would give the system initial high marks for training - lots more frequent feedback as one is developing aim-shooting and point-shooting skills, at a fraction of the cost per shot. Plus it's available for use every day, or several times a day, all without necessitating a trip to the range.

I see improvement already. We'll see how it carries over when I get to the range again in two weeks.

P.S. And to clt46910's comment that money would be better spent on a laser sighting system, I would disagree. I think the 10 millisecond pulse of laser beam that is timed exactly with the drop of the firing pin on the Bullite is rather key to why I'm improving. A steady-on laser would not be nearly as useful for gaining feedback as to what I'm doing with my aim at exactly the moment I've pulled the trigger and the hammer drops. Just my two cents.

Back