Rounding Collection

Basically,
Handgun of sufficient energy for close up work.
.22 rimfire or other small game rifle.
Shotgun.
Auto loader, preferably in .223 or 7.62 x 39.
Bigger game rifle sufficient for any critter you may want/need to shoot.

1st Marine division, 3rd Marines

I can think of at least five 'must haves' for each of revolvers, semi-autos, bolt action rifles, lever rifles, semi auto rifles, and shotguns. :D

A .22 for plinking and squirrel-sized critters.

A varmint rifle, probably a .223 bolt action.

A deer rifle, somewhere from a .243 to '06.

Some sort of home-defense rifle, from SKS to AR or Mini.

Maybe a .375 H&H if I play with larger or dangerous critters.

I have put together a good set of firearms, at least in my opinion. Any thoughts on Top 5 must haves?

Well you HAVE TO HAVE a Korth revolver, Heym Drilling 20 Ga SxS / 308 Win, A Navy Luger from the Great War, Browning Belgium Safari rifle, and a Beretta BM59 at the absolute minimum.

Ruger No. 1 rifle in .375 H&H or larger.

WWI Springfield 1903.

US Krag rifle or carbine.

MI carbine.

K98 Mauser.

Swiss K31.

They're all your choice, not ours, enjoy. The above are some of my choices.

If we're just talking rifles:

- An accurate scoped .22 bolt or autoloading rifle
- A scoped bolt action hunting rifle in .30-06, .308 or 7mm mag
- A dangerous game rifle in at least .375 H&H or .45-70 government
- A "light" rifle in at least .30-30, or ideally something like 7mm-08
- A military type autoloader in .223 or .308 (or ideally one of each)
- An accurate scoped bolt rifle set up for long range shooting in a suitable 6mm-7mm caliber

OK, that's 6 or 7 but it covers most likely hunting, competiton and emergency ground plus offers cheap entertainment and practice with the 22.

Well,

what do you have? Give us a starting point. What are your shooting interests? I have owned several hundred guns and still own way too many but the ones that stayed with me all fill a purpose.

The Garand should be on top of any Red Blooded, American's list.

Then a Model 70 ( or 10)

And off course an AR.

I could go on, but can't see leaving it at 5

A very hard list to make. In general I would say...

Marlin model 60 or Ruger 10/22
Remington 700 or Winchester 70
Winchester 1894 or Marlin 336
?
Ar15

For say Military
K98
Arisaka Type 38
Enfield
Smith Corona A303
K31

Lots of ways things could go depending on how round you want to be.

Of course, it all depends on where you are or where you imagine yourself to be. For me, I leave all the military, paramilitary, etcetera, type weapons off the list entirely because they don't fit the scenario I imagine. Since I envision a fairly remote back-country cabin, camp or homestead, that colors my choices. A minimalist situation is envisioned where you can only have 5 firearms period.

1. A high powered rifle primarily for big game in a common caliber like 30-'06 or comparable.

2. A 22 rimfire rifle that shoots well for you.

3. A 12 gauge shotgun.

4. A powerful centerfire revolver that you shoot well, ( I like 45 Colt here, but 44 Magnum would be just as good.)

5. A 22 rimfire handgun that shoots well for you.

That's the basics. Anything else would be more than needed. of course, it never hurts to have spares. ;)

I'll play.
1) Centerfire rifle for big game and longish range shooting.
2) Muzzleloader for muzzleloader season.
3) 12 gauge shotgun for birds and home defense
4) .22 for small game, practice, and plinking
5) Center fire handgun in readily available cartridge for defense and hunting as-needed

And a bow with various broadheads, field trips, and other points, but that's not a gun.....

w & c scott & son double barrel muzzleloader shotgun

I have a double barrel muzzle loader hammer type gun that I would like information on if any can help me. Everything looks original on it except the left cap holder looks to have been replaced. It belonged to a Surry County VA farmer by the name of John Harris Lane in the mid to late 1800s. ?The ID of the barrels measure right under a modern day 16 gauge. does not look to have ever been touched with steel wool or anything. Has some surface rust but hammers and triggers seem to still be in good working condition. Has the original ram rod. Any information would be very much appreciated. My email is brentbunch55@yahoo.com.
Thanks
Keith

Well this should probably get moved over to either the blackpowder forum or the research forum for better results. Also, pictures are worth a thousand words each. Wish I could help more......

If we are talking firearms

1) a good 22 rifle
2) a big game rifle
3) a shotgun
4) a handgun suitable for self defense
5) an AR

If we are talking strictly rifles, swap the shotgun and handgun for a lever action and something with a heavy barrel and plenty of glass.

for me its a 1951 model 70 in 3006, varmits, 125gr nosler BT, small deer 150gr nosler BT, large deer 165gr nosler, elk-small bear 180gr nosler, elk-large bear 200gr speer. eastbank.

Current list:

Savage 10FCP 308
AR-15
AK-47
Ruger 10/22
Franchi Affinity 12ga
Rem 870P
Glock 17
Ruger Blackhawk 357
S&W M&P 22lr

Back