Roundbutting an N-frame Smith

Has anyone converted a square butt N-frame to a round butt N-frame using the grinding pattern that is avaible through Brownell's?

I'm thinking of doing this to a very rough 1917 I have, along with chopping the barrel back to something shorter.

Mike,

I've seen ones that were converted. Worked fine. Problem is the template in Brownells is a K frame round butt and the N is slightly different. You might have to get your hands on a round butt N frame and make your own pattern as I've never seen a N frame pattern for sale anywhere. (the K and L frame butt is NOT the same as the N)

Bob,

Crap, I thought they also sold an N-frame pattern, it's been quite a while since I looked.

I'll borrow a friend's 629 and do a tracing on it.

You'd think someone would market one by now, but I've never seen one. As I remember you may have to modify the strain screw as well. (Can't remember for sure as I haven't looked at one of the conversions in a while).

I've done a couple. It's an interesting project. Couple things to watch for; Serial number positioning on the butt and thickness of the front strap, especially where the strain screw goes in. I've not done an early N-frame so I don't have a good mental frame of reference for the above concerns.
On the ones I did, one was a later production gun with extra material in the front strap, so when I cut/ground to round butt size, I just had to deepen the recess for the strain screw head. The other was an early 70s gun with a thinner front strap. After some head scratching, I cut the front strap just above the solid part of the butt, heated & massaged it back, tacked it, clearanced on the inside for the mainspring, and finish welded it. Otherwise, the strain screw head would have to have been removed & a slot cut in the threaded shank for install/remove. Not a real good idea as the shoulder of the head bearing on the frame tensions the screw to keep it from backing out from vibration. A set screw should be fitted to bear on the strain screw if you decide to go this route. The same cosiderations for the back strap. If it's thick enough & you won't get into the serial number, grind away. If necessary treat as I described the front. I've got a nice 25-5 4" round butt sitting next to me as I type this. Best thing I could have done to it.

BBBill,

That's what I was remembering. The front strap on the ones I saw must have been the older guns. They had chosen the slotted shank and set screw method rather than cutting and welding. I don't remember the serial number being a problem, but I guess it could on some.

Back