Round Top vs Flat Top Sighting

horselips

When I look down the sights of an auto like a Glock or XD, the flat plane of the slide creates an artificial 'horizon' or even an optical 'level' that seems to assist a little in target acquisition/re-acquisition. This 'feature' is not found on 1911 and other round (curved) top autos, or revolvers. Anybody else notice the difference?

I have never noticed it. But (please don’t take this personally) if you were focusing on the front sight as you should, you’d never notice if the pistol had a flat or rounded top to it.

Yes, there is a difference if you use the gun that way.
As others have said, there's really no reason to do that, unless the sights fall off.
And that can happen.
Doubtful if the shape of the slide would be an important criteria for choosing a gun, though.

If the sights are properly aligned, the top surface of slide isn't visible anyway.
At that very "instant" it isnt. There are a myriad of possibilities on the way to that point though, not that the shape of the slide/top of the gun really matters.

Its more what your brain has learned in practice, and what you have tucked away in the recesses of your brain from that experience that covers that.

Not all shooting is done with the sights aligned in the traditional manner, or even at eye level.

I've owned one pistol with a distinctly flat-topped slide, which was in just about all other ways similar to other round-topped guns, and while shooting I was never aware of the rib on the one gun that had it.
My awareness is of the front sight and what I can see around it in the notch, and if the target is big/close enough that I don't have to use a hard focus on the sight, my focus is on the target.
That said, I know people who are focused on a point half-way between the gun and target, focused entirely on the target, etc., so there are lots of ways to skin that cat.
For a gun that had no sights, I think a rib would be an aid to holding the gun level on both axes.

horselips said:
I shoot with both eyes open, naturally taking in more of the surrounding area than if I closed one eye.
So?

I shoot handguns with both eyes open, too. That's the "modern method" that most instructors convey. So what? When you shoot with both eyes open, it doesn't mean you have a broader view of the top of the slide. It means you actually see TWO guns, and you teach your brain to ignore one of them. The two guns are not so closely aligned that there is even the appearance of a wider perspective of the slide in either image.

I don't remember if it was the first, or second season (and if there was a third, I never watched it) of TOP SHOTS where one of the contestants made the excuse he couldn't shoot the pistol well because it didn't have a flat top like the GLocks he favored.

Either a bit before that, or maybe a bit after, he also commented about the sights on the pistol being "worn out" as the reason he was missing...

I was horribly conflicted between the urge to laugh and the desire to kick his little chickenspit butt. Terrible the things TV can to do one, eh? :rolleyes:

the flat plane of the slide creates an artificial 'horizon' or even an optical 'level' that seems to assist a little in target acquisition/re-acquisition. This 'feature' is not found on 1911 and other round (curved) top autos, or revolvers

Any chance you have looked down the flat plane (barrel rib) of a magnum S&W revolver? How about a Python, or other Colt with a vent rib? Your statement about how this "feature" is not found on revolvers falls a bit flat to me...:D

When I look down the sights of an auto like a Glock or XD, the flat plane of the slide creates an artificial 'horizon' or even an optical 'level' that seems to assist a little in target acquisition/re-acquisition. This 'feature' is not found on 1911 and other round (curved) top autos, or revolvers. Anybody else notice the difference?

Some folks do develop a personal preference when using the shape of the slide, or barrel to index the gun on the target. You look "over" or "through" the sights rather use the sights themselves.

However as you shoot more you tend to use what is there, irregardless of the shape. It doesn't have to be square and flat, it can be rounded.

You'll notice that a goodly number of revolvers and pistols have either raised ribs (on revolvers) or raised lines down the center of the slide on semis. These are to help draw the eye to the center of the gun when in rapid fire. It's a method of indexing. Your eye can see the amount of slide (or barrel) on each side of the sights and automatically use that to index the gun for firing. Takes a bit of shooting to get "natural" at it but it works no matter the shape of the piece.

I that fella claims he can only shoot that way if the slide is squareish, then he needs more trigger time. He also needs to use his sights more at distance.

tipoc

he also commented about the sights on the pistol being "worn out" as the reason he was missing...
That's it fellers!!! With 44 AMP's blessing, that will be my new excuse for goobered shots. "Darn right I missed! My sights are wore out- they done been looked through too many times! :D

I'll just add that some 1911s, all high end or custom AFIK, have flattened tops and are usually serrated. I know at least one semi-custom manufacturer say the serrations help the eye follow to and focus on the front site. Probably a marketing ploy but, in the right combination, a flattened top and serrations look nice.

one semi-custom manufacturer say the serrations help the eye follow to and focus on the front site. Probably a marketing ploy

S&W has put "grooves" in the sighting plane (frame & rib) of their top end revolvers for generations, "to reduce glare".

"to help the eye follow..." is a NEW one on me...:confused:

10-96, be thou now blessed...

Just remember, that guy was an idiot, HE wasn't joking!

Exact quote: "Three ball-radius cuts run the full length of the slide top to help direct your eyes quickly to the front prominent night sights." http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pisto....html?___SID=U. I have to admit I am lusting for that particular gun but it has nothing to do with finding the front sight.

Well that is marketing. The 3 grooves look nice but if you're relying on the night sights, you won't see those grooves.

If you're using the sights whatever is on the slide or barrel (unless it actually reduces glare) won't be seen or noticed much.

However, in rapid fire shooting at close range where the sights are not used and a flash site method of aiming is used, the ribs, lines, etc. can be an aid in orienting the gun onto the target.

tipoc

I had the misfortune of my front sight on a glock 21 being crushed/broken in a fall. I sighted down the edge.....something I practiced a few times "for fun" (actually was just curious if I could get hits), glad I did. Wish I could say it was because I was planning for every contingency but I hadn't. I have shot some training drills with the sights removed. Never noticed the flat area on a pistol with sights.

When shooting without sights, I see the top of the slide in the periphery, in varying extents as the gun is coming up and firing, but Im not consciously looking at it, or the sights, but at the target.

I think your brain has the index from the bazillion presentations and rounds fired in practice stored away, and does the alignment work automatically for you, without thought.

Sometimes the top of the slide is visible, sometimes its just the rear of the slide and your hand/hands as you shoot over the top of the gun. There are multiple index reference points that your brain sees and uses, even if youre not consciously paying attention to them.

Colt 1911's, depending on model, may to be a flat top or a round top. Never notice that the shape of the slide changed the sight picture.

Back