round stuck under loading ramp?

Just a wild thought but:can you relieve the pressure on the magazine spring (if it's forcing the round back under the lifter)? If you can get some room in front of the stuck round, bump the muzzle against a padded 2x4 laid on the floor. 45 rounds are fairly heavy and it might pop loose.

possibly. I'm not sure what will come flying out, come loose, or get misaligned. hoping someone has seen this before, I can't be the only one this has happened to.

I got it, you don't NEED to lower the hammer before dis-assembly. :D

Still no idea how that round got under the lifter/feed ramp thing. couldn't duplicate it running dummy rounds through it.

FYI/trivia, that hinge pin turned out to have a set screw in the bottom of the lever floorplate holding it in place. remove that and the pin can be pushed right out

Thanks for the support, feels better plunging in if you have other minds to fall back on

broke

I'm betting something broke (cartridge stop?) and released a ctg early. Possible something gummed up or stuck with a piece of grit too.

I like 94's, but there is no simple way to dissassemble one......the only drawback to the Browning design. I've never tried.

Good luck.

We see two or three of these a year. The cartridge stop in Winchester 94s is on the front of the link (what the OP called the floorplate), and as it wears it misses one every now and then. Not a big deal to fix, but it really freaks out the owners, they all think they could set off the round if they close the action (you can't).

My AE 45 trapper is a 1894-1994.It did it when new I retuned it to Winchester hasn't done it since.Its been 20 yrs but if I remember right all I did was take the end off the magazine tube pull the spring point the barrel down and shake and bump the gun till the other shells if any and the follower came out the front.Then shake and jiggle the gun till the shell goes in the tube the rim doesn't have to go in just it enough so the lifter can go down past the back of the shell.point the gun up and the shell will slide back on it.Did you try to force the shell out the back? I don't remember mine putting the shell that far back.Unless there something different about yours it only took a couple minutes to get the shell out.

Its not a freak happening and if happened once it will happen again.It was a known problem with the pistol caliber Winchester 94s mostly the 45 colt They changed the cartridge stop and that seemed to have mostly fixed the problem

4 rounds left in the tube
I did try getting it out like willy said. no joy. I'm going to shoot it again this weekend, see what happens.

Is there a bullet on the carrier while there is a bullet stuck between the carrier and the link? I'd like to know if this a double feed situation.

On a lever action (and some pump actions) the cartridge acts as a stop that prevents the next fresh cartridge in line from coming out.

When the carrier is being lifted as the level (and the link) is being raised to close the action, then the link takes over and is supposed to work as a shell stop since the link rises and intercepts the fresh cartridge.

Now, if the fresh cartridge is getting between the carrier and the link, then the carrier is not dropping enough to stop/catch the fresh cartridge. I'm wondering if the carrier as designed is too short?

Back