Rough smooth bores?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jeff, CA
  • Start date Start date
J

Jeff, CA

I recently had Hans Vang work his magic on my Mossberg 590 barrel. It works as advertised, but it's rough. Hans says he leaves a little bit of machine marks in it to slow the plastic wad down, for a cleaner muzzle release. I have no cause to doubt that, but that same roughness causes terrible leading if you shoot anything without a shot cup (like a slug or S&B buck). Naturally, it's worst in the forcing cone.

We heard from Gale McMillan on this forum that any kind of abrasive cleaner will wreck rifling, but could it be used on a smooth bore? What's the worst that could happen - it'll make the smooth bore smoother? I'm really tempted to put some JB compound on a patch and spin the cleaning rod with a power drill.

It's a tradeoff,Jeff, like most things in life. In your shoes, I'd just not shoot that ammo, or possibly ending up a range session with some ammo with cup wads will do some of the lead removal for you.

Mr Vang has probably forgotten more about bbls and interior ballistics than I'll ever know, so I'm hesitant to recommend undoing his work.

Dear Jeff,

I had Hans do my 870 Marine. When I first got it back I had the same concerns... but after having fired TONS of different stuff through the tube I have had no problems.... My patterns are SO much tighter, the recoil and muzzle rise have been so reduced I would be loath to change anything at all!

If it aint broke...don't fix it!

Ben

Back