Rotating Magazines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axel Yup

Massad Ayoob has written that you should rotate the magazines that you load every six months. This is supposed to allow the springs to decompress.

I have some pre-ban hi-cap magazines which are now pretty expensive to obtain. New springs are much cheaper. If I rotate the springs every 6 months, will it accomplish the same purpose at a lower cost?

Axel

I believe this would accomplish the desired effect. Keep the springs in little marked bags to avoid confusion and it should work well.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

I built a little device to stretch my mag spring back to length. You need to put them on it for awhile for the spring to remember the correct length.

I used some old scrap 2*4, fishing line, and some snap swivels. Take a mag spring that is new to and take the measurement off it. Then
pound in 4 nails at the corners of the 2*4 and wrap the fishing line around them. Install the swivels for the proper stretch.
Viola cheap and easy to build. I leave the mag spring on the board for about 2 weeks. they will shrink a little when you take them off so I built mine so the stretch is a little longer than I need.

Hope this helps.

Woody-
Good idea on the spring stretcher, however, fishing line will also stretch to some degree depending on test strength and age. I assume you are talking about monofilament and not something braided. Better off perhaps to mark the locations on the 2x4 so you can replace the fishing line when necessary. Or, better yet, use a braided steel wire like that used to hang heavy pictures.

Just my .02 added to the pot...

------------------
RKBA!

"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsay Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

Hi, TheBluesMan,

Interesting that you should quote Ramsay Clark on rights. I don't know of anyone who is more dedicated to destruction of Second Amendment rights and the elimination of private firearms ownership.

Jim

Several studies have been conducted regarding this matter. Scientific or not I'm unsure. However, your current springs should last almost a lifetime. My duty mags have been fully loaded for over 10 years now without failure. Not to say it won't happen tomorrow. But, if your concerned you can always go to www.gunsprings.com and buy some replacements. Wolffs are the best.

not sure of the website

Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe 543 (edited October 11, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Joe 543 (edited October 11, 1999).]

I have Wolff springs in my hi-cap mags. Are you saying that I don't have to worry about rotating the mags with Wolff springs?

Axel

Jim Keenan,
My short response to save bandwidth on an off-topic subject:

Wouldn't you love to find a quote from Sarah Brady that you could use to support your position and degrade hers?

Thanks, nonetheless for pointing that out to me.

------------------
RKBA!

"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsay Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

Stretching the mag spring back to its original length is the worst thing you can do to it. It will actually induce more stress and fatigue into the spring if you stretch it back. The only way to get rid of the fatigue in the spring is to heat treat it. This will require equipment in the six figure range. If you feel that your springs are getting worn out, it's best to replace the spring. FYI, I got this info from a 1990 issue of Peterson's Handguns magazine. The author, Mike Izumi, is a mechanical engineer who did a study on magazine fatigue (BTW I'm a mechanical engineer too so I know he wasn't BS'ing).

Corbon91
------------------
"I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid... afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules or controls, borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you."

I have a least 3 or 4 mags for each pistol I have and I use a label maker and clean the bottom of each mag with alcohol so they will stick well and mark each one as 1,2,3, and so on. Then at the end of each mounth I change from 1 to 2 then 3 just rotate so they stay fresh. It's not a bad Idea since the are not to expensive to replace to get new ones once a year. At least if it's a carry gun. Just being cautious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back