rossi ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wp

I have read on many boards about rossi handguns being unsafe and in one post even blowing up. I don't take everything i read or hear as the "truth" but i don't want to lose life or limb either. I have a 971 in SS and a 3 1/4 comp barrel and it is the best shooting little gun and perfect for backpacking,home defence,and a blast to plink with but am now a little bothered. I know they are cheap and i never expected it to last as long as a ruger or smith but i would really like input as to there safety and expected round count. If they are really that bad i will personally destroy it so as not to hurt someone but really hate to lose such a fun pistol.thank you in advance and all help appreciated. wp

I've heard this garbage before as well. I don't believe A word of it. I had a little .38 for several years and had no problems whatsoever. Sold it to a friend, and he's still a friend two years later. I currently have a .357 carbine from Rossi and have put several hundred rounds through it so far without a hitch. I don't like to comment on weapons until I've put at least a thousand rounds through them, but if this Carbine continues as it has, it'll be a keeper.

------------------
TJS

My wife carries a Rossi Model 68 SS .38
Special. She loves it; and likewise it
too has had no problems.

My 76 yr old aunt has a 38 special Rossi revolver. I took her to shoot it at the gun range, and she's fully capable of utilizing this gun. I shot it myself, and although the double-action trigger is fairly heavy, it functioned flawlessly. We fired only about 50 rounds though.
I feel its a good defensive weapon for her, but if there are known problems, I'll get her something else.

I had a Rossi 877 (.357 magnum); sold it earllier this week... but not because it wasn't a well-made, effective weapon. I just realized that now that I have several other guns for concealed carry, I just wasn't going to carry a snub-nosed revolver any more.

I had a trigger job done on mine by a local smith, and he also installed S&W springs.

It was very, very accurate in Double Action mode up to 30', and quite accurate beyond that that in single-action mode. That is really outside it's design envelope: its made for reliable use and upclose and brutal shooting scenarios.

(I shoot IDPA, and at a recent local practice session, on of the fellows was shooting a new Colt Detectives Special. He couldn't hit the broad side of the barn with it; I let him use the Rossi and he immediately improved greatly.)

Nonesense. They are safe guns, the later ones excellent quality (I have a 357 with an action so smooth and crisp out of the box I believe it must be a fluke). The earlier ones may not have been as good - but by no means bad. The last years they had to upgrade to compete in the US market - since then Rossi has been taken over by Taurus in a new holding company.

WP:
Normally when a Post starts with only good reports, Members are hesitant to go against the " grain", but I think you should know all the facts.
Back, when I was working with the local SO,
we were allowed to carry the weapon of choice , but only after approval from the Instructor.
As I posted this before, here are the weapons that were banned:
1) Charter Arms
2)Rossi Revolvers
3)High Standard Revolvers
4)Wesson Revolvers(DAN)
This was around 1979-80-81-82
It is unfortunate, but A rossi product is the only one in the life of our Gun Range, that exploded, injuring the owner to the point of having to go to the Hospital.
I personally have only owned one Rossi product: a 357 Lever Action Rifle.
It jamed so bad that even the local Gun Shop
took it back on trade.
NOT AN OPINION, JUST THE FACTS>>>>>>>

I have owned a Rossi M971 w/ a 2 1/2" BBL for several years now. It was actually the first gun I bought at 21 in FL. I have never had a single problem with it. I also fully understand that by no means is this gun as durable as a ruger gp100 or smith 686, but with hot .38+p loads it is adequate and was a great little gun to cut my teath on as a kid.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back