Rossi/Taurus Gallery .22?

Byron

There have been several discussions of various .22 rifles here lately, but I've never seen anyone mention these little pump .22's. (Since Taurus bought Rossi, they're sold by Taurus as the Model 62 and by Rossi as the G22.) It seems like they'd be a lot of fun, and if they were actually used in shooting galleries it seems like they shouldn't be too trouble-prone. Anybody have an opinion about these guns?

Bryon,

I talked to Ron at Taurus(1-800-327-3776) about the pump .22. He tells me that they sat down with the original Winchester model 62 and the Rossi G22 reproduction gun and took the best from both to create the new Taurus. He told me they shipped 5000 guns to wholesalers last week. I have been unable to find one yet. I looked at a Rossi(still in stock) and a Henry today. The Rossi had better fit/finsh and 23" octogon barrel. It felt better than the Henry.....IMO while the Henry had a better stock(Walnut)and a 18" barrel.I was very disappointed in the blueing on the Henry

If you get to look at a new Taurus please post your opinion.

Cig1ar

RSR has the Taurus with 23" bbl, waiting on the 16.5". I went ahead and ordered one with 23" bbl; $222 + tax, which is an OK price, not great (wholsale is about $182; MSRP is something like $269). I should have it early next week. The choices seem to be those two bbl lengths in round and blue; no mention of any octagonal Taurus versions, nor any in stainless.

I'm not expecting much in the accuracy department. After all, the perfect gallery gun would not be too accurate -- don't want to go broke giving away prizes!

Bryon,

Please post a review, after you shoot it...........Guns & Ammo reviewed the Henry pump 22 gallery gun.(Oct."99") All three testers gave it 3 stars out of 4 stars
Accuracy: Best 50yds 1/2in. Average 3/4in.
Best 100yds 1 1/2in. Average 2 7/8

Some comments of the testers: Pump .22s are always fun - especially accurate ones, Lots of fun. Combines nostalgia and reliability.

I figure(hope)the Taurus is as accurate.

Cig1ar

I got one of the new Taurus Model 62's, which is the maybe updated Rossi Gallery .22. Mine has the 23" bbl; the carbine version with 16" bbl is not available yet, or at least wasn't a couple of weeks ago when I spoke to Taurus. Anyway, I finally got a chance to shoot it today, and it's a blast! You can hold the trigger back and fire on the return stroke, for a little spray and pray. Shooting normally, it was very accurate; in fact, I hit better with it than with my Winchester 9422. No jams or malfunctions of any kind. I thought it would hold 15 in the tube, but mine just *barely* won't. For about $125 cheaper than the Winchester, so far I find it easy to recommend this one.

Why not stay with an original Winchester model 62, or 06, or even the original 1890?

Just a thought.

------------------
RKBA! NRA JPFO SAF

I bought a Rossi gallery gun a few years ago. It's the carbine model(short,round barrel , bright nickel? finish)All around it's been very good to me. My only wish is it would feed shorts. It came in two pieces so I assume it's supposed to be a take down.I don't take it down as The fit is a little snug and I don't want to loosen it any.My opinion is if you see this gun buy. I can't tell you how many offers I get for it everytime I bring it somewhere.I only really shoot it at 25 yards(reactive plates) but have yet to miss one.

Back