Rossi single shot rifle

Deer hunter88

Does anyone have any experience with the Rossi single shot rifle? What are the pros and cons of this rifle? I found a new one chambered in .270 for $275 but I would like to hear some thoughts and opinions before buying the rifle.

Cheap. Cheap. Cheap.

They go bang. ...Usually.
Accuracy? Mixed.
Ergonomics: Terrible.
Recoil: Noted as "bad" by most shooters. (See 'ergonomics'.)

Worth $275? Not a chance.

A used Handi-Rifle would be a far better option.
Or... one of the CVA Stalkers/Scouts.

I HAD one in .223 rem. It had lots of light primer strikes with different ammos. Accuracy was not acceptable. I traded it off. No more Rossi's for me. Owned two - both gone.

I bought one on closeout for $118 in 223 for my grandson. He stacked the deer up with it in the 3 seasons he owned it. It is pleasantly accurate too. At $270 there are much better options. You can get a Ruger American 270 at CDNN for $299.

Trijicon ACOG

I have a Trijicon ACOG tao1 that I purchaced back in 99. Well the tritium glow has faded alot. I understand one can send them in to get re-piped. Has anyone sent one in and what was the cost incured. Thanks

Bet you could find a Savage bolt gun in the same price. My buddy bought a 223 Savage for less than the Rossi and it shoots 1.5 moa with the onluammo we tried.

I have a CVA rifle in 44 MAG chambering. This is my Florida hog rifle hunting over bait. No problems with fit, finish, function, or accuracy. Good rifle for a fair price. Best accuracy with Hornady Leverevoltion ammo. Another CVA rifle I own is named Optima which is a 50 caliber in-line muzzle loader. Accuracy is amazing with Powerbelt bullets!

Ask your local gun shop if this Rossi rifle has a significant returns history. Is it returned for warranty work more than other rifles they sell? I'm like you, attracted to bargains for hunting outfits.

Jack

Jack, I have that same rifle. We get to use them for our primitive weapons season here. I got mine on closeout for $140. I haven't tried Powerbelts, but mine gets the job done with Swift A-Frames.

I bought a Rossi R243 for my wife. 23" heavy barrel.
I reload for it using RL26 and 100gr Sierra BTSP Gamekings and 105gr. Hornady Match bullets.
Topped with a Vortex 4-12x40 Crossfire II, and a cheap takeoff of an Atlas bipod, she's able to consistantly hit a steel turkey at 500 yards.

My only gripe is needing to full length size instead of just neck sizing.

Rossi Combo Rifle

My nephew bought a Rossi three barrel combo set for his daughter when she first started shooting. A 20g barrel, .22LR barrel and a .243 barrel. She loves it and has fired hundreds of .243 and thousands of .22LR with no issues.

She has since graduated (for mule deer hunting) to an AR chambered in 6.8 SPC. But she still has the Rossi.

Last edited:
Back