rossi revolvers

I have a rossi 971 4" .357mag and a smith & wesson 686. Both are good revolvers. The smith is better but for about half the price the rossi is a very good gun. It is accurate, it came with great blueing and a decent trigger. I'm pretty sure that since taurus took them over they have a lifetime warranty. By the way I have so called "better" guns (kimber, cz, hipower ect.) but the rossi is the one kept by my bed. I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend.

The Rossis that I've owned and shot are every bit as good as my S&Ws. I've shot a couple of Mdl. 971s that had smoother DA trigger pulls than S&W. My current Rossi is a Mdl. 720 .44 Spl. I would not hesitate to bet my life on it.

In 1992 or '93 Rossi modernized their plant and manufacturing methods, and improved their quality control. Rossis made from that point until Taurus acquired them are excellent revolvers. I have no experience with the post-merger guns.

Great guns for the money.

I've shotten both the 971 VRC and 877 and was very please with the accuracy. The 877 I especially liked, what with the comfortable grips, good trigger, etc... great little snubbie for the dollars.

[Edited by Ewok_Guy on 05-14-2001 at 12:58 AM]

I had a model 720 .44 special. It was a nice little gun. The only reason I got rid of it was that I couldn't get used to getting slapped in the face with pieces of lead caused by cylinder not lining up with the barrel. But as with most things in life you get what you pay for. Half the price of a Smith&Wesson and half the quality. I haven't shot one since Taurus took them over so hopefully their quality control has improved.

I have a SS Rossi 971 4" barrel with factory rubber grips. I got it new about 10 years ago for $229.00. I can't complain about it. The SA trigger is pretty light and crisp, and the DA trigger is pretty smooth. It shoots pretty accurate, but it's not the prettiest revolver. I understand that Rossi is now owned by Taurus, and I think their products are pretty good now.

The only Rossi revolver (38 snub) I ever had apart was of junk quality internally. Very cheaply made and a poor imitation of S&W. One of the trigger pivot points had snapped off. It worked after I cleaned it, removed the broken bits and put it back together, but I told the owner not to trust it. This one was made in the mid 70s to early 80's.

From what I understand the later Rossi revolvers were of better quality.

I have a Rossi 720 .44 spl 5 shot stainless steel revolver. It is my home defense gun which sits by my bedside every night. I love it to death! It was the first revolver I owned and when I'm in Pennsylvania it is the gun I carry. It is very accurate, right out of the box.

The one my buddy had one about 10 years ago that was total junk---it broke numerous firing pins and the cylinder would always bind up---this was with using factory loads only. Not sure on the model number but it was a stainless .357. Needless to say anybody we know who is considering a Rossi---we steer them away by any means possible.

Quality might be up now that Taurus owns them----but you still won't catch me buying one.

I own a 2.5" mod.971ss and have had it longer than other wheel gun I have ever owned. I have had Smiths, and Colts. Kept the Rossi. I bought it when they first came so the QC may have been higher then. The lock up is still excellant, the SA trigger pull is the best I have felt on a revolver and the DA trigger pull is very good and smooth. Mostly from use. It does not spit lead and at 25 yds off hand right about 4" which is as good as I think I can do. At about 12 ft I can put'em into the size of a silver dollar dumping the cylinder. The only thing I have ever done to it is replace the rear sight cause I dropped it and broke it. Took about 3 wks to get it. Lifetime warranty and the company is ISO certified. Everything is done on very modern cnc machines and they have gotten pretty good reviews in the gun rags. The ss they use seems to be on a par with other types of manufacturers. Oh yea I have pachmeyer grips on it so it about disappears iwb. No complaints at all and if I am not carrying my CCO I carry the 971 without any reservations whatsoever. Keep'em sharp.

S$W Vs Rossi

I bought my wife a stainless Rossi snubby 5 shot, that is just like the Model 60. I have had the side plates off of both, side by side and the resembelence is uncanny. My Rossi has been a very good gun and for the money I would prefer it over the higher priced S&W, especially since they made their deal with the devil.

7th

My wife tried several snub-nosed .38's and really liked the feel of the Rossi. Took it to the range recently and she was able to keep every shot taken at 7 yards within the 10 ring. I was able to do the same at ranges up to 25 yards. Great gun for the money, if you ask me.

Back