Rossi Revolvers

Wade

One of the local gunshops has a nickle-finish Rossi .38 (I think it is a Model 68; 5-shot, 3-inch barrel). This one is used, but seems to be in good shape. Dealer is asking $140 for it. Good deal, or should I pass?

Weak Gun

Leave it alone!
Unless they have changed, substancially, a low powered load for a S&W or Ruger is a +P load is a Rossi.

I have owned 4 Rossi Revolvers since around 93. I have had just the opposite experience with them. I have found them to be very well made, decent triggers, and accurate. My current rev. is a mod. 971 in .357mag.with the 2.5" barrel. The fit and finish is as good as any Taurus I have ever seen and as good as a lot of the smiths, colts, and rugers. The company is now owned by Taurus I belive, and they are ISO certified. Which in manufacturing is a very high quality standard to reach. They are made on the most modern cnc machines and if I am not mistaken they use smith and wesson lock work. I have had mine since the first 971's came out. I think in 93, I have also owned the .44sp. and 2" .357. I would still own the other 2 except sold them to friends in need of reliable carry pieces. I like the .44sp the best. None of these revolvers showed any signs of weakness with any loads I put through them. I have several hundred rds. through my 971 and the timming is still there, no cutting of the forcing cone or top strap, and actually the side plate is pretty much seamless. It also has one of the best single action trigger pulls I have ever had on a rev. The d/a is right at 12 lbs and smooth. Although that could be from dry firing it thousands of time along with the shooting. It also doesn't spit lead either. For the price you can't beat them. I still wish I had that .44 though. Keep'em sharp

I've owned a few. Never had one break. My 6" Model 971 stood up to a diet of heavy magnum loads, including firing a bag of Georgia Arms "Deerstoppers" over a brief firing session one afternoon on a dare. My current DAO Model 720 has as sweet a DA trigger as I've felt in quite some time, and it is far more solidly built than my Bulldog Pug was, which is a gun that seems to garner endless praise from the semiliterate gunshop commando crowd.

Lows? Fit and finish isn't going to win any beauty awards. Trigger quality out of the box is, with rare exceptions, poor. Bluing is mediocre, and polishing on the stainless ones is a little uneven. Accuracy is adequate, but you're unlikely to wow a Colt, Ruger, or *&* shooter with it.

My wife has owned her Rossi 851 in .38 Special since 1985. It has had at least 6,000 rounds thru it and is still going strong.

I did have to replace the original (hammer nose) firing pin after about 2500 rounds. It was starting to flatten at the tip. I used a S&W K frame replacement (same type of mounting rivet and required only minor fitting).

I am baseing my post above on two things.A friend bought one that lasted 18 rds.I was shooting it at the time it locked up.Second is a friend that teaches CCW class.He has stated that no Rossi has ever made it through his class without problems.To me that is a very good indicater of problems.It might be a massive QC problem who knows but I will not stake my life on a rossi.It too easy to die.

Tamara, I'm back to ca'tridges that go 'tunk'...

...'cause I found another 720. :cool:

Did a simple trigger-job on it to smooth it up some more, although it was already pretty nice. Triggers on Rossi wheelguns can be iffy, but both my 720s have been good.

RE: blueing...

Have a M68 [c. 1994 mfr.?] that is just beautiful; others I've seen were just really mediocre.

No Rossi I have owned has had any reliability problems except for one minor spring hiccup. The older ones, including the used 3" models I see at shows these days, are just trash, though.

I'd be less interested in the older Rossi's, but the ones made since the mid 90's would be worth consideration. Both Rossi and Taurus have come a long way in their quality control department and their products definitely show it. Depending on how old the gun in question is it may or may not be a good deal. Even the older Rossi's have, in my experience, been dependable if not smooth and beautiful to look at, so I don't think I'd be too worried about it. If it is an older one though I would probably be more inclined to put my money into one of the new Taurus or Rossi's that are rated for +P's.

I have a 2" 357 model 877 that has a smooth trigger and is an accurate shooter, I don't recommend shooting 357's through it as it can be somewhat painful depending on the round. A good .38+p is an excellent choice! I was looking at the newer Rossi's a few weeks ago and didn't much care for the feel...It was a 6" 357 with in my opinion some lousy undersized grip..nuff said 'bout that...in short I like the original Rossi much better... Best wishes in finding the weapon that best suits your needs and taste

P.S The model 877 came out within your time criteria

My wife has the stainless steel Rossi, model 68 I believe?
She has never, ever experienced a problem with it. It is a
1994 model Rossi; that closely resembles a S&W model 60.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Don't buy Rossis!

My experience with Rossi is not good. I have seen them break countless times. I've also seen the cylinders mysteriously get stopped up and not turn (can't think of the gun lingo name for this phenomenon). Rossis are far from reliable and quality control is poor IME. Sure, you might get lucky and find a good one......BUT IME there are MORE bad ones out there than good ones!

I have had good luck with my Rossi, no problems. I did do a action job on it to improve the trigger pull. It's ok, but remember you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. For the price they are of.

Back