Rossi M971

longbow

I am dyed in the wool .45acp fan but I do own this particular revolver in 2.5" in .357. Interesting thing to note is that I compared it to a friends S&W as for lockup and fit and finish and the internals. Looks pretty darn close. Have put a few hundred full power 125 grain CorBon through it but that is all. Still tight. Anyone else carry this type of revolver or shoot one alot. Interested in how it will stand up to prolonged shooting with full power loads. Good to note is that it has a pinned barrel and a thick top strap.
S/A pull is incredible. 3.5lbs on my buddy's scale. Bought it new when they first came just cause I liked the looks. It is the unported version. Thinking maybe after a couple of trips to the range with it I may just carry it this year in lite of the millenium. You know kind of a fall back to simpler things. Also does anyone know what type of after market grips will fit it? Keep'em sharp

I had one of these revolvers briefly about 4 years ago. It was a serviceable revolver, but, over time, began to wear appreciably. Mine developed a problem with the timing of the cylinder and would sometimes spray a bit of lead (this happens when the cylinder does not quite line up with the barrel). This was easily fixed by my local gunsmith, but the part took 3 months to get to me.

My advice:
1. Go easy on the full-power loads. My Rossi got loose in a hurry firing full-power .357 loads.
2. Consider trading up to a Smith and Wesson 686 or a Ruger GP101. These are made better and will hold up longer.

Back