Rossi Lever Gun Project Finished!

My Navy Arms imported Rossi Model 92 in .44-40 is now complete. The reciever and lever were bone charcoal case color hardened by the guys at Wyoming Armory Precision Firearms. I did an action job myself and installed aftermarket springs for a smoother functioning action, though it is not tuned for competition.

The stocks were refinished by me as well using John Kay's pre '64 Winchester oil finish, which is topped with a specially blended garnet shellac based on an 1890s recipe for gun stock finish.

I am very happy with the results.

Attachments

• Finished Rossi right 01.jpg
    Finished Rossi right 01.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Finished Rossi left.jpg
    Finished Rossi left.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 145
  • finished Rossi action right.jpg
    finished Rossi action right.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 141
It shoots about like what you'd expect a pistol cartridge lever gun to shoot, about 2.25" groups at 50 yards off of a bench. I'd like to use it in CAS side matches when I get the chance.

If you handload for it you might be able to get a bit better accuracy, however, in cowboy action load levels that may be it. I have 2 Rossi 357mags I handload for and they both are 2+MOA shooters at 100yds with a full power charge.

If you handload for it you might be able to get a bit better accuracy, however, in cowboy action load levels that may be it. I have 2 Rossi 357mags I handload for and they both are 2+MOA shooters at 100yds with a full power charge.
Agree--I've had a full-power 44mag handload get pretty close to MOA at 100 in my Rossi SS carbine.

VERY nice BUT the stock has a bit too much gloss. Looks like an old Weatherby finish.
I'd prefer it a bit less glossy as well, however, if the OP wants it as a 'BBQ Rifle,' shinny is good. :D
Agree--I've had a full-power 44mag handload get pretty close to MOA at 100 in my Rossi SS carbine.
My son with his younger, better eyes can shoot considerably better groups than this old man can anymore. He's also done near 1 MOA groups at 100yds with the target tang and globe sights on my 24" rifle but as I shoot mostly 200yds and longer at reactive targets (bowling pins), not paper, I quoted a conservative number virtually everyone should be able to produce.

My son with his younger, better eyes can shoot considerably better groups than this old man can anymore. He's also done near 1 MOA groups at 100yds with the target tang and globe sights on my 24" rifle but as I shoot mostly 200yds and longer at reactive targets (bowling pins), not paper, I quoted a conservative number virtually everyone should be able to produce.
I call "under-exaggeration":D I know it takes a heck of a lot of skill to connect with targets at 200 or 300 yards shooting a lever with irons--no matter how good your peep is.;)

Thanks for the compliments. If it were a field gun I would have used a satin finish. As it is a range gun the gloss finish is OK for me and it matches some older Winchesters I have.

As far as heirs go, I have two 7 year old daughters that are just about ready for their first guns. I'm sure they will take care of daddy's guns when I am gone, but thanks for the offer :D

Back