Rossi lever action ?

The main problem as I have heard, is loading 38spl rounds jamming. Do a google, there are a lot of pros and cons, but mostly pros. But the price is right.

I had one. Everything is fine until you use 38 SPCL ammunition. Best to use it as a single shot for that. At least for mine it was.

"...loading .38 Spl. rounds jamming..." Lotta .357 lever actions do that. Has to do with the OAL length difference and the action. Loading .357 cases to .38 velocities will fix that.

The offerings seem to be in a state of flux.
Many were discontinued & reports are that the remaining guns are often hard to find.
Denis

As the feed design of the Win '92 lever action assumes a fixed case OAL, dealing with two different rd lengths that are some .125" different is a challenge. The spec for a 38spl OAL is 1.550" while the 357mag OAL is 2.590", however, many commercial 38spl rds are loaded in the 1.460" range because the 38spl's case length is .125" shorter than the 357mag's.

When the shorter 38spl rds are cycled through a levergun the cartridge stop and lifter sometimes don't deal with the shorter rds smoothly. I have 2 Rossi 357mag and when I was loading both 38spl and 357mag, I found that a simple way to avoid the issue is to load the 38spl at or near it's SAAMI max OAL so I loaded all of them at 1.500" and above and didn't have any problems.

Later, I decided that sorting the 38spl brass from the 357mag brass was a pain so I got rid of all my 38spl brass and only load 357mag brass. I load all my levergun loads a full power 357mag levels while I load my SA Cav model pistol lower so the way I differentiate them is I use nickel plated brass for my pistol loads and brass brass for my rifle loads. That way I can tell at a glance what ammo goes where.

I have a Henry Big Boy Steel in .357 and it has fed anything I've shoved in it whether a .357 or a .38 and has functioned both smoothly and accurately. This includes SWC, Truncated cone flat base, round nose flat point, round nose, and hollow points. All of the above in jacketed, HiTec coated, lead, and copper coated. I was shooting some long range at Quantico a couple weeks ago and let my friend shoot it, he loved it and now he has one on his list.

Mine feeds both 357's and 38's without issue. Hollowpoints, roundnose, semiwadcutters, it doesn't matter. I think I need a new extractor though because it's starting to slip.

Mine also cycles 38s fine. I haven't shot a lot of 38s through it, but when I first got it, I took it out and ran some of every type of 38 and .357 I had (about 6 or 7 different makes & models of cartridges) with nary a hiccup.

I've read a LOT of reports about problems with 38s in various .357 lever guns, not just the Rossi. Seems like it depends on the individual gun in hand.

The little Rossi 16" carbine is my favorite long gun. There's lots of fun in that little package. I'd love to take it hog hunting, but haven't had the opportunity.

Fit and finish doesn't match up with the more expensive models, but that's not as important to me as it is to some people.

The only problem I've had with mine is that I had to replace the front sight. The one installed at the factory appeared to have been filed down too much, and was a little loose in the dove tail cut. I bought a replacement sight from Steve's Gunz, which fit perfectly, and was good to go.

I purchased mine around 2010 and it has cycled 38 and 357 equally well. Both feed, fire and extract exactly as they should. Great rifle in my opinion and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

when were the ones that feed both 38 and 357 made or bought ? Is it the older or newer ones that feed everything ?

My Henry .357 will not reliably cycle .38 wad cutters, though it is fine with .38 round nose or Keith style bullets. Not a big deal to me.

My favorite lever (at the moment!), is my Rossi 92, in .44 magnum. Right out of the box, it cycled smoothly, is well finished and accurate.

I have fired many .38 rounds in my 92 and the reliability is good enough, I only use it on paper.

My 92 is as rough as any gun I have ever cycled. I intend some day to refine it. I suggest that you handle before buying.

Back