Rossi 92 in 45 colt

Abndoc

Does anyone know if the L and B pin plug screw is caliber specific on this Rossi? I have had Braztech ship me three screws now for one that came out somewhere. Each has been too small in diameter and falls into the hole. It will thread in if you open the action, but then the pin on the end doesn't allow the action to close as it protrudes into the slide. The head of the screw is 1/4 inch below the receiver, and in no way is this correct. The hole, just for reference, is on the left side of the receiver, opposite side from the loading gate, closest to the barrel and highest of the 4 screws on that side. Am I misreading the schematic and it's not the L&B screw?

The Rossi parts diagram is not completely accurate. That must cause the people in Brazil who assemble them no end of problems. However, I just looked at my .357 and you are describing the whole for the plug screw. It will line up with a hole on the other side that remains open. It is just there to insert a punch. I don't know if the part is the same size for all calibers.

I don't think that screw (P/N 65) is caliber specific. I suspect they are sending a cartridge guide screw (P/N 49), which would be too small and drop too far in just as you describe.

FWIW, Gun Parts Corp has them for the original Winchester (see link) and also for the Japanese repro. The Rossi screw is probably metric threads, but you might try one or both of the others if necessary.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Winchester-33573/Rifles-42602/1892-40288.htm?page=5

Jim

The third time they sent a screw to me, I let them send me a cartridge guide screw as they suggested. I guess I was desperate. It was even smaller than the L&B screw.

I don't know what screw is they are sending me, that is supposed to be the L&B screw. I've taken the other screws out of the exterior and the screws they sent do not match anything else on the rifle. I have to wonder if their parts number is wrong.

Jim, thanks for the link. I will do some more searching.

The screw Rossi uses might not be identical in size or threads to the Winchester, but it has to look like that in general since the seating depth is critical. FWIW, for $5 or so I would buy the one from GPC and see if it fits. If you don't ruin it, you can return it, but hardly worth the time for that money.

Jim

The screw from Numrich just arrived and it too falls right into the hole. It is too small. The screws, in order, from the stock to the barrel on the side without the loading gate are...

1. Hammer screw
2. Carrier screw
3. Cartridge guide screw
4. L&B pinhole plug screw.

The one I need is #4.

I will try Rossi one more time. If they can't provide a screw that fits, I will ask them to send me a shipping box and a tag because the hole is machined to the wrong size.

The screw from Numrich just arrived and it too falls right into the hole. It is too small. The screws, in order, from the stock to the barrel on the side without the loading gate are...

1. Hammer screw
2. Carrier screw
3. Cartridge guide screw
4. L&B pinhole plug screw.

The one I need is #4.

Am I missing something? I didn't even see a schematic for the 92 on Numrich's site.:confused:

Last edited:
Just click on the link above.

I call Rossi again on Thursday. I explained to the customer service person my theory that the .45 uses a different part than the .38, despite what their parts number list says. She is kicking it up the food chain and I hope to have an answer by Tuesday.

Back