rossi 92 454

oldbear1950

am going to start reloading these bullets, as I already load for 45 colt.

Does anyone load for this caliber, and will be shooting them out of a
Rossi R 92, and I already have a factory crimp die for all the calibers I load for. 38/357 mag, 45 colt, and 45 acp, 9 mm, and 32 H & R mag,

While I don't load .454 myself, you should be able to use the same dies that you load .45 Long Colt with as, dimensionally, .454 Casull is a lengthened .45 LC. While I like the factory crimp die for bottlenecked rifles and semi-auto pistols, I've never felt the need for one for straight-walled, rimmed cartridges as the roll crimp I get from my seating/crimping dies has always been more than sufficient.

rossi 454

I received my new 454 Rossi on friday, and took it out today and fired only 45 colt loads, both factory loads, and my reloads, and both worked great

Use your 45 colt dies. I have used a Redding set to load 454. Any 45 colt carbide set should work fine. Small rifle primers are a must.

I had a Rossi .454 '92. Nice light-weight rifle! BUT: stay away from full-house loads!

Although the gun can take a full .454 Casull load, your shoulder and face probably can't! Because of its light weight, it kicks like a mule! You will not want to shoot those!

For deer, the 250 g Hornady XTP worked well for me. Start at 20.0 grains of 2400 as a .454 Casull load. Minimum load. Shoot some of those first, then ask your shoulder if it wants more!

That load will wallop a 200 pound whitetail deer.

Mine was a joy to carry. It sure could be used for moose or elk or bear but... once you're topping the ballistics of a .44 Magnum, I don't think it's needed

I put a couple of stout .454 Casull loads through mine. It jammed my hand forward in the lever, knocked my shoulder, slapped my face. I smelled blood in my sinuses and saw a few stars. It was sort of fun, but 4 of those were enough!

Last edited:
454 Rossi

I actually traded a new HENRY ALL WEATHER WITH THE LOADING GATE, 45-70 FOR THIS ONE, and before yall say I should not have, I am 73, and my hunting days are probably over now. and I have had Ruger both # 1 and # 3, Marlin 1895s, and now Henry all in 45-70, so am not bothered by a lot of recoil. That Ruger # 3 was probably the worse kicking gun I ever shot.
But then I was in Kodiak, Alaska, and loading em hot. for use against brown bear.

Rossi 454

I got this one in stainless steel, 20 inch barrel , with the idea of shooting mostly 45 loads, and being a 454, I figure if I want stout loads, using the Ruger/Thompson Contender loads in a 45 colt.
I do not even have 454 brass yet so will see

Congratulations on finding your .454! I really am glad you found what you were looking for!

I’m sorry we were just geographically too separated to discuss a deal.

well let us know how it does for you. here have the same in 44 mag but snow have not got to shoot it yet.

I'm wondering if Henry will come up with a .45/.454 rifle. Obviously it can be done.

Could a lever rifle handle .45/.454/.460? That would really be versatile but maybe not very practical.

I know very little about lever action guns. I've handled a Henry and they look well made but the $1,000 price tag is a real sticking point for me. Maybe I should just try chanting 'Buy once, cry once' over and over.

I've had my .454 Casull Rossi 92 for a couple of years now and I've been very happy with it.
Generally I load either 11 grains of Unique or 30 grains of IMR4227, both using my own cast RCBS 45-270-SAA bullets in Casull brass. I've got a few test loads using some commercial 325 grain gas checked bullets.

While I do use my RCBS .45 Colt dies to reload .454, there is a very slight difference in the sizer die for .454. It sizes down just a little tighter than the .45 Colt die for better neck tension. That said, I get great results from my .45 Colt sizer die, so I haven't bothered trying to get a dedicated .454 sizer die.

I only have the 45 colt dies, and I also have a Lee factory crimp die, and have heard that in the rifle need a good crimp to keep the bullets from seating down into the case from recoil. Have you had that problem. I use factory crimp dies on all my reloads

I like a heavy Unique or Blue Dot load for my revolver. That's enough kick for me! I think as long as you get a firm crimp into the crimp groove you won't have a problem from set back.

I agree--your factory crimp die will do just fine to prevent bullet setback.

I use a Redding profile crimp die, but I think the crimp it provides is pretty similar to the Lee die.

I know very little about lever action guns. I've handled a Henry and they look well made but the $1,000 price tag is a real sticking point for me. Maybe I should just try chanting 'Buy once, cry once' over and over.

Dale big $$$ for wood and steel is the nature of things these days. What I really lament is not picking up every 60s and 70s models Marlin 336 i saw when they could be had for $300 or less. That wasnt even terribly long ago. OK maybe it's been 10 year or so since it was common to find them UNDER $300, but the fact remains that was a good price

oldbear, I've had a Freedom arms .454 revolver for about 25 years and used to load for it. I don't recall what dies I used, but never had any issues, even with the FA revolvers precisely reamed chambers. I used AA-9 and 300 grain jacketed bullets. I routinely loaded to about 150 FPS under what the factory 300 grain ammo chronographed. Recoil was still considerably more than .44 Magnum I'd shot and loaded for years.

I just looked up the weight on the Rossi .454. The Rossi .454 with 20" barrel is about a pound lighter than my Henry .357 with 16.5" barrel. If you get around to approaching factory equivalent .454 loads with your Rossi, I wish you well sir: you're a better man than I;)

over the years, I have had a thing about 45-70 govt.
I have had Ruger # 1s, Ruger #3, Marlin from 22 inch barrel to guide guns, Henry 45-70s, including the new 18.5 inch barrel all weather, and was stationed in Kodiak, Alaska, twice, the only one that bothered me was the Ruger # 3, with really hot loads.
They were not bad out of the #1, but that #3 kicked like a mule.
The truth is I will probably shoot 45 colts out of my rifle most of the time, as I do not own a 454 revolver, and own two 45 colts.

Back