rossi 92 454

oldbear1950

First question, I am in the process of acquiring a Rossi r 92 in 454.
Can 45 colt dies be used to load 454 or do I need to buy new dies?
I was thinking could adjust the case mouth die and seating die to work.

I load 454 with 45 Colt dies, RCBS and Lee. Lee makes a carbide sizing die that works with 454, 45 Colt, 45 Schofield. I also have a Lee factory crimp die that works with all the 45 family.

I used to have one. It's very light and full house .454s in it will make your sinuses say "Howdy do!"

I used Lee .45 Colt dies and they worked just fine. Another fan of the Factory Crimp Die, too.

Consider what you're shooting.. it's nice to know you can go as much over .45 Colt loads as you want.. but that rifle will make you wish you were shooting less than full Casull level. It's a great little carbine, I regret selling mine but honestly.. I am all shotgun now.

I already have the 45 factory crimp die, as well as for all my other cartridges.
I load for 32 H & R mag, is my wifes gun, 38/357, 45 colt, 45 acp, 38 super, 9 mm, 30-06, and 45-70. In Alabama is a carry without a permit since the 1st of January, this year. I was advised though, if I travel to visit family, in Oklahoma and Kansas, and keep a pistol with me is advised to have the conceal carry permit and I do

All I can say is you're a glutton for punishment. Recoil with full hoise 454 loads in those little rifles will certainly mess up your hair and shake a few fillings loose. But they are light to carry, so guys love them.

oldbear1950,
Are you having any luck finding a Rossi R92 in 454 Casull? I've had my local dealer looking for one for well over a year and still no luck. I even called Rossi and they stated that they were still making that model, just was short supply. I bought all the pertinent stuff when I ordered the rifle, dies, brass, empty cases. Now i'm setting on 5-600.00 worth of stuff but still no gun. One of these days.
Ralph

still have not found one, but Buds said they would contact me when they get one. I have an Uberti EL PATRON pistol in 45 colt, so I already reload for that cartridge.
I would rather have the 454, because of the way the magazine tube connects to the receiver,

Old Bear, They are out there now. Received mine about 3 weeks ago. Liked it so much I went back and got it's brother in 44 mag. Same barrel and stainless also.
Ralph

I also have the 92 in .44mag and .454. Never any problems with either. The 44 mag recoil is brisk and the 454 recoil is full tilt boogie in comparison.

I agree. 454 in that nice light Rossi will clear your sinuses!

.45 Colt dies work just fine. I would recommend the Lee 4 die set. The 'Lee Factory Crimp' die makes it easy to get tight crimps and die setup is a snap.

The bullets WILL be getting quite a jostling in the magazine tube!

I have a 3 die set, with a separate Lee factory crimp die. So used together is a 4 die set I have factory crimp die with every thing I load

Back