Rossi 92 .38/.357 problems

Marcus

A friend of mine just bought a Rossi 92 on my recomendation. We took it out to break it in today and so far we`re pretty disapointed in it. It groups well but it doesn`t cycle worth a darn. 130gr.FMC Specials worked fine but when we switched to 158gr.LSWC Specials and 158gr.JSP Magnums they`d jam every single time! The SWCs hang up on the lip of the chamber. The magnums are seldom even picked up by the carrier and when they are they aren`t lifted high enough to feed. I radiuses and polished the lower edge of the chamber just a tad and that helped with the SWCs although feeding is still spotty. I tried some lighter magnums with a shorter OAL and they feed sometimes but not always. Does anyone have any ideas before he has to send a brand new gun in for warranty work? BTW he bought it at a gunshow with no box or owners manual,will Interarms still honor the warranty? Marcus

You really need to call Interarms to find out. But if they don't balk after you-"radiused and polished the lower edge of the chamber", and no paper work, I'd be surprised. Remember when you buy a "new" anything without papers-"Caveat Emptor-Let the buyer beware".
Cat

I`m affraid you may be right. I didn`t do anything radical to the chamber mought it was a little rough and had a few machining marks in it,I just polished them out. A little cold blue and it won`t be noticable but the papers worry me. He may be stuck paying for it,we`ll see I guess. Marcus

Hi Marcus, Had (have) one also and I finally bit the bullet and got a gunsmith here in South Carolina to polish it out. One of the things I did that helped the stiff action was to pack it full of lapping compound and work it for a looooong while. Never did loosen up to where I wanted it, but not too bad.

Made an ideal rifle for the wife, no recoil and using 158 XTPs, grouped well. She was hitting coke cans at 50 + yards consistently.

If you want the gunsmiths particulars, just let me know - don't have'em available right now, but can look up the data.

Giz

Gizmo's post rang a bell for me. We had exchanged e-mail about it back in December. (Sorry for not remembering you at the IDPA match a few weeks ago.)

I had mentioned in Rec.Guns:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>If you have extra money to throw around, gunsmith Richard Heinie offers an entire package of action work for the Rossi 92.

www.heinie.com [/quote]

Gizmo replied to me privately:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Hamrick and Gibson in Greenwood (SC) do a nice tune-up on Rossi's also. Smoothed out my wife's .357 for $50 bucks.[/quote]

See you at the IDPA match next Sunday?

Hi Dan, you have an awsome memory. I didn't remember that and I started the conversation!

Marcus - if Dan recommends Heinie, it's a solid recommendation.

See you there Dan,

Giz

Back