Rossi 92 .38/.357. No longer made?

test drive

I know this topic gets kicked around from time to time but what’s the latest word ? Picked one up with 16 inch bbl. several years ago and it has been fantastic. Got a friend looking for one but everyone is “out of stock” and has been for quite some time. So he is going with Henry Big Boy. So....anyone know if the Rossi in .357 is ever coming back?

It's available currently in both blued and stainless as a 20" carbine in only .357mag and 44mag. Rossi told me that as they increase production, they plan to expand their offerings to the rifle and short rifle variants and additional calibers as well.

They're reintroduction into distributors has been slow they say that gun shops aren't ordering as many as they had assumed they would so build up of inventory has been very slow.

As long as Henry continues to not make loading gates and the next cheapest option with a gate is twice the price of a Rossi, Rossi will continue to make lever rifles in every caliber they possibly can.

And let's not speak of Marlin, those things are SLAPPED together by incompetents. No amount of trips back to the factory will ever make them right.

I've been thinking about a 16" .45 Colt for the longest time and with how much drop there is, I wouldn't shoot it past 150 yards and even a cheap Rossi is more than capable of delivering at those ranges.

Rossi has had that "vaporware" up on a website for over a year now and I haven't heard a thing about them actually being produced and available anywhere.

You haven't been looking then.
True, haven't recently since I stopped looking last year--the last one I bought was used. I seem to recall reading they were under reorganization and retooling their rifle production facilities.

There’s a shop about 40 mi from me that seems to get them in fairly regularly. They had a 20” SS version in .44 Mag last week when I passed through.

There’s a shop about 40 mi from me that seems to get them in fairly regularly. They had a 20” SS version in .44 Mag last week when I passed through.
Very cool--are these the "gen 2" new production models? I already have 2 Rossi 44 mag carbines--don't need a third, but I am curious how they compare with the older ones. The older ones are great--once you fixed them or if you were lucky enough to get one that didn't have issues.

I can’t really comment on the 2nd gen vs original. I’ve not done any research on how to tell the difference.

The .44 mag trapper I got in Q4 last year has one of the smoothest, nicest actions I own. The .357 20” SS I got at the end of last year isn’t as smooth as the one I’ve had for a few years, but like likely with time and use it will smooth out.

Wouldn't mind finding a '92 Rossi in .357, 20" barrel. But, my Henry .357 with the tube fed magazine, bothers me not. I don't hunt with it, so, that isn't an issue. Even if I did, I hopefully can hit with ten rounds. If not, well.....

My understanding from Rossi CS is that they are the same design as produced at the previous factory.

“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert
I take it that means we are stuck using the "nowhere else in the world but Rossi thread pitch" screws?:D

I had a Marlin 32 mag lever action that came with a tube feed instead of a loading gate and it was a non issue. It was just No Big Deal. like most of you I have been shooting tube fed 22 for many years and they work fine.

If I were in the market for another 357 lever I would probably give a hard look at the Henry. A poster here that goes by Dpris has reported he got groups at 100 yards of just over an inch from his test rifle Henry. And my JM marked made in 2002 marlin 357 was not smooth, had a hairline crack in the buttstock at the tang and needed a serious polish job right out of the box. The 44 mag I bought a couple of years later was almost perfect except for an improperly fitted forearm.

I had one of the pre safety Rossi rifles in 357 and as long as you shot jacketed bullets it would keep under 3" at 100 yards. But any lead bullet load no matter if loaded hot or mild was starting to tip at 30 yards and was is full tumble at 100 yards. i got rid of it pretty quick. I was told by the importer that all the Rossi's came with a 1/30 twist. Thats OK for a 44 but way too slow for a 357 rifle.

My second go with a Henry has brought me much happiness--their 45-70 Big Boy is the bee's knees--extremely accurate. Though it comes stock with a metal buttplate for the true sadomasochists out there--unless you want to show off your bruises it's a good idea to put a pad on.;)

ratshooter, I have a Henry .357/.38 BB brass, 20" octagon barrel. the twist is 1/16.
This has worked rather well with 158 plated and JSP's.[.357] Accurate as you could ask for in a lever rifle. And you correct regarding tube feed: non issue.

Hey Rifletom my Marlin has a 1/18 twist and does great with about anything I load for it including WC ammo with the bullet seated out a little so it will feed from the mag.

Glad your gun is giving you good service and accuracy. I sort of like the tube feed. If Henry offered both a tube feed and a loading gate I am not sure I wouldn't go ahead and get the tube feed. It sure is a lot easier to unload the gun.

Stagpanther I have had a few of the bruises from shooting my Lyman GP rifle with the Buttplate from Hell on it. Get it on your shoulder wrong and you WILL know it.

I have shot the stock Henry 45 - 70 with no pad--and like you see positioning is everything--but if you move up to heavy bullet full power load it's not what I would call a "fire all day" proposition--seems to rattle my teeth and scramble my brain more than anything.:D:D

Back