Rossi 92 16" Actual Weights?

jimbocarrey

Would anyone here that owns a rossi 92 with the 16" barrel be so kind as to put it on a postal scale for me? I'm looking at the rossi website and they list all the different calibers at 4.8 lbs which I have a hard time believing. Specifically I'm looking to get one in 45 Colt but I'm also interested in the weights of the other calibers as well. Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to help out some random guy on the Internet.

Regards,
James

If I had not let my friend talk me out of mine years ago I would be happy to help. Just curious but what are you hoping to find? I'm sure they will all be close in weight, but due to the bore size the smaller cal guns will be slightly heavier but not much VS the larger cals.

Fully loaded, my 20" .357 weighed in at about 5-6 pounds, but I am not going to swear that the scale is accurate to the ounce. Remove fifteen rounds, a bit of barrel and magazine tube and that sounds reasonable.

You should disregard those numbers. For every increase in bore size the barrel diameter will probably not change. that variation, held against the remaining mass of the rifle can't Be important.

The actual weight variations will be insignificant, a n d almost certainly undetectable by nearly any human being.

Well I'm assuming the 45 should be the lightest, I read they use the same barrel blanks for each caliber. I was looking at an H&R single shot in 300 blackout and it weighs in at just under 5 lbs and it felt like a toy gun, I guess I'm just surprised the rossi would weigh that little. I saw somewhere online claiming that the 20" r92 in 45 weighs 6 lbs and I highly doubt that 4 inches of barrel and tube are going to weigh ~14 ounces? So I'm just trying to figure out who's right and who's wrong, my dad has a 94 trapper and it's very light at 6 lbs, 4.8 seems like it'd be crazy lightweight especially for heavy 45 Colt loads.

My stainless 16" 44 mag weighs 5 lbs 5.5 oz.
And yes combine the lightweight and the steel carbine butt plate and 300gr@1500 loads and she packs a good wallop on both ends.

Awesome thanks to everyone so far, so there's only a 2 ounce difference between the 357 and the 44, I highly doubt there's a ~8 ounce difference between the 44 and 45. Great info I haven't been able to find these real-life numbers anywhere online thanks again for posting. Now hopefully someone has a 45.

Several years ago I had some postal scales given to me. They have been quite informative. I've found that most rifle and shotgun makers listed weights are inaccurate. To a point with wood stocks this is to be expected. No two pieces of wood will weigh exactly the same and bore size does matter when weight is concerned. Listed weights for handguns has been much more accurate in my experience.

Sometimes manufacturers make changes to guns, but don't update listed specs. Savage used to use plastic or aluminum trigger guards. Most older guns had blind magazines. They went to steel bottom metal and trigger guards and weight went up about 1/2 lb. But it took years before the specs were changed.

Many others simply list one weight for all models regardless of caliber or barrel length. Some are so far off I think they just made up something.

This 20" Rossi carbine in 357mag weighs exactly 5lbs 14oz empty as pictured with Marbles Sights, Saddle Ring, and leather wraps:

27AcT52.jpg

Conversely, this 24" Rossi rifle in 357mag weighs exactly 7lbs 10oz empty as pictured with Marbles Tang and Lyman Globe sights. The extra 4" barrel, it's octagon shape, and longer magazine, coupled with the longer buttstock and tang sight, add almost 2 lbs to the rifle's weight:

GZUA0J8.jpg

Last edited:
Obambulate, interesting that you're weighs a half pound less than the previous poster, maybe differences in wood density? Seems like a large difference.

my rossi 16" 44 mag carbine weighs in at 5.5 lbs--but I have had to beef it up with reinforcement in the forend and barrel bands--I certainly have added weight to it--my guess is that when I originally bought it it probably weighed 5lbs +/-

I will say this--I can hike through many miles of back-country heavy woods and rough terrain with it like no other weapon--but be VERY careful as the quality of manufacture can be highly variable--mine was a piece of junk when I bought it but I fiddled with it enough to get it to shoot well. As bad as remlins' reputation seem to be--at a lower price a much better value and quality IMO.

It's true that Rossi's quality before 2000, when they retooled with new CNC machining, was not what it is today. With a bit of love and Steve's Gunz $58 action and trigger job parts and DvD on how to do it, you can have a '92 that runs slick as snot.

My son has a 357 magnum 16 inch barrel. I just asked him to weigh it. He say 5LBS 8oz. Unloaded. It has poop sights on it.

Back