Rossi 357 mag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickster

I have a chance to buy a Rossi, 357 magnum, model 971 stainless, The gun is in 98% cond. Is 220.00, a good price. And is the gun reliable, accurate. Thanks Nickster!

Nickster, spend a extra 50 bucks and get a used Smith & Wesson or Ruger. I have seen S&W model 66's for $275 used. well worth the extra money. Funny deal going on with Rossi right now, they were bought by Taurus. Since Taurus is not currently continuing the line, parts and repairs are going to become a issue at some point.

http://www.rossiusa.com/index.html

this is the new Rossi USA web page, it explains the relationship between the three companies.

Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert the41MagFan (edited November 25, 1999).]

I dont know what the 41magfan is talking about. I just recently purchased a blued Rossi .357 snubby for $200 and love it. Action is smooth and for a short barrel, pretty accurate. As for parts and service, forget about it! All new Rossi's come with Taurus' LIFETIME guarntee. I repeat, LIFETIME. When S&W offer lifetime maybe I'll buy another one. I love my Taurus and now the Rossi.

BUY only Smith & Wesson 38 357 41 44
Stay away from Rossi or Taurus

And some day your family will thank you

Based on the used market here in Ohio, I would say $220.00 for a 98% Rossi is high. Other areas may vary, but the local market here has new ones going for not much more. Used Smith and Wesson model 19's, some in NIB condition (Better than 98%) are around for an additional 30 to 50 dollars. Your area may vary. I have 2 S&W 19's, one used but unfired(before I got it) that I bought for the above mentioned prices. Smiths have a different trigger feel, not better or worse mind you, different. It makes for more consistant shooting if all your DA revolvers are Smith's.(mine are in centerfire) Rossi was also absorbed by Taurus FWIW, so parts and factory work may be bothersome. Not impossible, but I have yet to hear how well people were treated. On a plus and minus worksheet, it may not be such a good deal. Course the most important thing involved is how well do you shoot it? If it's like THE GUN, hit anything you can see with it type, then all bets are off and $220.00 is a fair price. Fair in the meaning of you get a good value for you, maybe not for anyone else, but good for you. I have a POS Excam GT380 that is like that. I sold my PPK and kept the Excam.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.
http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/cansite/can.html

[This message has been edited by Hal (edited November 25, 1999).]

I bought a Rossi several years ago, in fact, it was my first handgun. It is a M971 in .357 with a 2 1/2 in ch barrel, and unfluted cylinder. The grip on this gun is the absolute best revolver grip I have ever experienced. Even better than the Ruger GP-100 I now use as my primary field gun. The trigger is real smooth and the sights are pretty decent. The fit and finish is a little rough, but that is just cosmetics.

The only negatives I will mention, are 1) The Rossi med. frames have the same draw backs as S&W, Taurus, Colt. They are lightweight, making them difficult to shoot full power mags without alot of practice. 2) They are made the same way Smiths, tauri, and colt are: removeable side plates. This particular design can reduce the durablity of a revolver. Ruger wins this hands down...simply the toughest guns around.

I still have my Rossi M971. It serves as a home defence gun right now. I shoot ONLY .38 spl, or .38+p to keep wear and tear to a minimum.

I got mine for $235.00 brand spankin new 6 years ago. I once almost traded it at a pawn shop in Florida, the owner said he could only give me $99.00 for it. If that number is true, 220.00 for a 98% M971 maybe a bit high. Negotiate if you can...

Hope this info helps!!!

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

[This message has been edited by PeterGunn (edited November 26, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back