Ross rifle

John Y Cannuck

Model 10, 303British
Yes I have fired it, no additional holes in my face.

The following apears on the receiver:

ROSS RIFLE CO. CANADA
M-10
PATENTED
CRB (cross flags insignia)
2312 BM (Crown over BM)

On the barrel
LC
(Cross flags insignia)
303 BM (crown over BM)

NITRO PROOF

On the Bolt

BM (crown over BM)

Any history on this particular piece? age, origin etc.

As I said, I have fired it, with caution, it proved to be assembled correctly, as I believed it to be from my sources.
It is accurate at 1.5" best group with a hodge podge of old handloads. Does have a bad headspace problem, scrapped about 50% of my brass.

Easiest way to make certain you have the bolt reassembled correctly is to watch the locking lugs as you cycle the action.

If they don't turn down into the correct postion, you've got a problem.

Watching the lugs was part of my theory, but also, on this particular action, if you can easlily insert the bolt after removing it, it's not right.
You should have to rotate, and pull the lugs forward to a resting position under spring pressure before you can insert the bolt.

John:
Here is a little trivia that I have found in the Library.

ROSS
Model: Mks I, II, II**, II***, II****
Short Rifle
Country of Origin: Canada
Mfg: Ross Rifle Co.
Quebec
Caliber: .303 British
Action: Straight Pull bolt
Length: 48.63"
Weight: 8.03 Lb
Magazine: Internal box, 5 rnd
Barrel Length: 28"
M-Velocity: 2000fps W/MkII ball

Ross owed its temporary military success to the refusal of the British to supply Canadian troops with the Lee-Enfields during the second South African War of 1899-1902.

Numerous serious accidents, including fatalities, soon came about. Those involving 1905 thype actions may have been due to faulty engagement of the locking lugs, or the trigger releasing the
st4riker before the breech was properly locked. In most of the later 1910 pattern guns the bolt could be rotated under the extractor after the b ole sleeve had been removed from the bolt
way.

Ross submitted a military version of his 1900 pattern sporting rifle to the Canadian Army. The prototype proved effective enough in rapid fire, however, failed on endurance test negotiated
by the competing Lee-Enfield without trouble. A Ross rifle was taken to Britain shortly afterwards, but was rejected by the Small Arms Committee in favor of the Lee-Enfield.

With the British still unwilling to supply rifles, the Canadians were forced into adopting the Ross. The first contract for 12,000 rifles was taken in March of 1902 with the promise of
others to follow.

The first guns were made in Quebec, 1905, initially using many parts bought in from Billings & Spencer, and Mossberg

HJN

Apparently, the action does not like dirt. As such, as a result of all the jamming going on in the trenches, some guns were sent back to the armoury to be reamed out and thus handle the dirt. Mine is apparently one of these, as it has a good bore, yet stretches brass. I hope to get the headspace checked.

Harley Nolden
Your book didn't happen to have pics of the bolt torn down did it?
None of my sporting rifle assembly books even mention the Ross.

John Y:
Possibly you may want to check, Military Rifles, As the Ross was initially produced for military service and due to the problems may not have been produced as a sporting rifle. This is only an assumption on my part.

The information was put in the Library some 10 - 15 years ago only as text. I don't have any photos. Sorry

HJN

The Ross was available commercially chambered in 280Ross.
Ross Seyfreid did an article for Rifle a while back with this gun. I have it somewhere, still trying to find it.

Back